Bufo Debilis

jjgordon24

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently just bought this toad from general exotics and i love it already but it seems as tho its really stressed. it tends to hit the glass alot and pace back and forth against it like its trying to get out. any tips to keep the stress down? i have an american toad in the same tank and they get along fine.

tmarmoratus

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jeff Fenn
If the toad seems stressed, then how do you know it is getting along fine with the American toad?

How big is the tank? Are there sufficient hide spots?

Mixing these two species might work, though you are taking a risk that foreign pathogens (or toxins) from one of the toads could cause an illness in the other. Size disparity between the two species could also be an issue; American toads can get significantly larger than B. debilis.

jjgordon24

Reaction score
Country
United States
well i have seen the debilis next to the american toad and they dont seem to be scared of each other. then i notice that the debilis randomly tries to climb out and starts to hit the glass but it seems unrelated to the american toad. i could take the american toad out for a day and see what happens but i dnt think thats the issue. i have a 20 gallon tank and i have alot of moss and two logs to hide under, two live plants, and a fake plant

joshfrogz72

Reaction score
Country
United States
western green toads dont like it to moist, they seem to like it more on the dry side, they can be a little skittish when they are new and need to get use to there new home. i have 4 of them and they are fine they need hiding spots. the american toads gets alot bigger then them i would try to put them seperate and see how that works. the western green toads do hide alot and come out when its feeding time. and when you say looks stressed out what is he doing?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Adam the axie:
    so much diversity in amphibians
    +1
    Unlike
  • Adam the axie:
    there arent that many where i live though
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    saddd
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Maeve has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nemo:
    How long will it take for waterdog to morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • ArpTheAxolotl:
    Hello guys! I posted a new thread and I need help determining two axolotls gwbder
    +1
    Unlike
  • ArpTheAxolotl:
    gender*
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kennakat123:
    Help!! My nitrates won’t go up! They are at 0ppm and so is my ammonia and nitrites. Can I put my axolotl in the tank without the nitrates or does the axolotl need them? If not how do I get my nitrates up?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kennakat123:
    Help!! I am cycling my tank for an axolotl, but nothing is moving up or down. These are my levels
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kennakat123:
    Ammonia 0ppm
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kennakat123:
    Nitrite 0ppm. Nitrate 0ppm Do axolotls need nitrates?
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    Are you cycling?
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    0ppm nitrates would indicate your tank isn't cycled and therefore it isn't safe to add in the axolotl.
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    You should be dosing the tank with ammonia to cycle it, which would then be converted into nitrite and then nitrate.
    +1
    Unlike
  • blackxreptiles:
    there a salamander farm in the US?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Adam the axie:
    i dont think so
    +1
    Unlike
  • Adam the axie:
    there are breeders though
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    soon to include myself!! hoping for eggs this summer :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    nvm my male has fungus and i’m paranoid he’s gonna die so maybe no eggs ;(
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chak:
    @axolotl nerd do you know how to treat fungus correctly? You don't wanna wait. No pressure, but my cousin's axolotl had a tiny bit of fungus on the tail and a day later it took over the whole body and it died.
    +1
    Unlike
  • blackxreptiles:
    does any one know where i can find simple cage setup for fire salamanders on here. I know some like to give it a realistic setup but I always believe in simple setup and care in the right as long as animal is happy.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Adam the axie:
    you can probably make your own out of a big enough plastic bin
    +1
    Unlike
  • blackxreptiles:
    well i have a 20 gallon tank. but do most use paper towels and a plastic hiding spot and replace paper towels weekly?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    @Chak, yeah he’s being treated rn. he has a tiny bit on his gills and i caught it early
    +1
    Unlike
    axolotl nerd: @Chak, yeah he’s being treated rn. he has a tiny bit on his gills and i caught it early +1