Bufo marinus picky eater

R

rodrigo

My mate´s bufo is doing ok....but it only eats enough not to become slimmer. We wish it ate more so it put more weight on, but no matter how many crickets we leave with it, it will only eat a few.
You can see the pelvic bones, but it´s not anything to really worry about. It´s not skinny but a bit more weight wouldn´t harm it.
Anyone has any trick for making them more comfortable and hungry? We think it´s all because of stress, though we try not to disturb it.
thanx for any help
happy.gif

(Message edited by azhael on April 04, 2007)

how old/big is the frog?
If his mouth is big enough, offer pinkie mice, the are high in fat. Butter worms are a good part of a varied diet.

It´s young maybe around 13 cm long. It won´t touch pinkies. Only crickets. We´ve tried worms, pinkies and mealworms, but it didn´t eat them.

Try mealworm beetles, i had a toad which only ate them for a while!

At 13cm, i could have already reached its adult size. Most Bufo marinus are WC, so perhaps consider parasites.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back