Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bugs in tank

AxieNerd

Reaction score
When feeding my axolotl I noticed some bugs in his tank. We have these bugs before but did a water change and they were gone. I thought they were copepods but they gather under a towel we have on top of our axolotls tank to block out some sun. We have not introduced anything new to his tank recently. His water perimeter are correct except for slightly lower gh. His lid is always slightly ajar do to cords. Weekly water changes and I use water conditioner on the tap water. I have no idea what it is. There were more earlier but I scooped them into the filter. My axolotl does not seem bugged by them and when they first cam I saw my axolotl up against the wall they are at alkyl almost eating them. They seem to reproduce quickly.
ACE72B18-DDFA-40BD-AC99-74EAB2E717F7.jpeg
1AC7CEA1-1E4A-4BB5-9B78-13F6BB42E30A.jpeg

They appear the same as the first bugs we had a few weeks ago. I have seen a few dead flys(possibly fruit flies) floating on top of his aquarium.

Attachments

• 6EF4B8DD-1047-4EE2-B07D-5555325EB3B7.jpeg
    6EF4B8DD-1047-4EE2-B07D-5555325EB3B7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 70
  • 49A0FAB0-0A6B-4E29-9165-B43705068FCA.jpeg
    49A0FAB0-0A6B-4E29-9165-B43705068FCA.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:

wolfen

Reaction score
unless you disinfected the filter media when you did a water change then that will be where they were hiding until the numbers are large enough to be noticed, also if they are reproducing in the water then they aren't airborne. although they do look like copepods you will have to get a magnifying glass to find out what species they are.

AxieNerd

Reaction score
unless you disinfected the filter media when you did a water change then that will be where they were hiding until the numbers are large enough to be noticed, also if they are reproducing in the water then they aren't airborne. although they do look like copepods you will have to get a magnifying glass to find out what species they are.
Thank you for your reply. I did a full change of the filter media. And did a large water change. I have not seen them for a few weeks and just noticed them. I cleaned the full filter and all of the hides.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 75

wolfen

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I did a full change of the filter media. And did a large water change. I have not seen them for a few weeks and just noticed them. I cleaned the full filter and all of the hides.
they do seem to look a lot like cyclops/copepods which are quite harmless, they don't look like fly larvae as they aren't worm/maggot like.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1