Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bump on Tiger Salamander

Repguy27

Reaction score
My tiger salamander has gotten a bump on her side. It has gotten a bit bigger too and I am worried what it may be. Any ideas?
IMAG0122_BURST0031.jpg

Ominojacu

Reaction score
I guess the options are
1.Subcutaneous nematode
2. Bacterial skin infection
3. fungal skin infection
4. cancerous tumor
5. Benign tumor
If you lance it, subcutaneous nematodes are easily seen. Bacterial and fungal infections would require you to culture the lancing, however these are less likely in a single legion as they tend to spread quickly, and you could just routinely treat it with a topical antibiotic, I would recommend a sulfur based one. If you suspect four, your better off leaving it alone as you risk releasing cancerous cells into the blood where they can spread.

Reactions: sde

Repguy27

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I put a triple antibiotic on her bump for now. It seems to have gotten a bit larger and a little more milky colored. Would you recommend taking her to a vet? How often should I be putting on the ointment? Also while putting on the cream she didn't react badly as if from pain or anything from me touching it.

Ominojacu

Reaction score
your best bet is always to go to a vet. However, having started my interest in herps from long before the average vet could tell the difference between a tiger salamander and paper weight, I would be inclined just to lance it verify that it is not a parasite and continue to treat it topically.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I put a triple antibiotic on her bump for now. It seems to have gotten a bit larger and a little more milky colored. Would you recommend taking her to a vet? How often should I be putting on the ointment? Also while putting on the cream she didn't react badly as if from pain or anything from me touching it.
Yes, I would try to find a vet experienced with amphibians. This could be one of a number of things and you are not in the position to determine etiology....therefore the best you are doing is punting and treating blindly. I had a tiger with a similar bump on its tail. Took it to a vet experienced with amphibians who excised the 'bump'....as my example turn out, it was a benign cyst.

Repguy27

Reaction score
I took her to an exotic vet and they tested it and it wasn't bacterial, fungal, or a parasite. They said they were going to talk to an amphibian expert on it and after almost a week and a half I got a reply saying that it would have be be surgically removed and sent in for a biopsy to determine what it is which is upwards of $300 which I don't have anywhere near that :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1