Bumps on my small Spring Peeper -- anyone know what they are?

Got this response from a PhD university parasitologist.

Based on what I can see, it looks as if the bumps are caused by larval trematodes (metacercariae). The peeper became infected when it was in the pond breeding. Larval stages of the digenetic trematode called cercariae left an aquatic snail (wher the trematodes undergo larval development) and penetrated the frog. Piscivorous birds are the definitive hosts and become infected when they eat the infected frog. If you want to catch and freeze an infected peeper, I would be happy to look at it to make sure. I could probably identify the metacercariae to genus. Only if the metacercariae occur in very high numbers will they injure the frog. hope this helps

Poor Guy. Did the parasitologist offer any options for treatment?

Make sure you're not cross-contaminating with your other pets. Keep that little guy and all of his gear, etc. isolated. I'd probably sanitize my hands afterward, just in case.

Make sure you're not cross-contaminating with your other pets. Keep that little guy and all of his gear, etc. isolated. I'd probably sanitize my hands afterward, just in case.

Because of the life cycles of these parasites, I am told by the parasitologist that it is not transferable to other amphibians in my collection.

A veterinarian I know (and Willlis knows, too) said that treatment is usually done either with formalin (with possible toxic effects to the amphibian) or Praziquantel.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back