Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Buying and selling, fair price?

virago

Reaction score
Need to re-home the babies. What is a fair price to ask? A guy contacted me who is into wholesale fish. A few individuals would like a couple as well.

Jake

Reaction score
I used to wholesale axolotls at $2.75 each for a group of 50 or more when they are 2" long. Make sure people buying them are going to be able (and willing of course) to take care of them properly. I sold a few groups to people who claimed to be fish wholesalers, and learned not to sell to them ever again really quick.

A fair price is free, but to some, apparently a fair price is up to $54.99 each because they're 'so rare'!lol

Seriously though, the price is up to you, normally an axolotl should't be more than $10 unless it's an adult or a weird color morph, and by 'weird' I don't mean albino.

I'll PM you the email address of a guy I know on the east coast who's well known on this site, he might be interested, but it's hard to say for sure.

bendawson

Reaction score
ill help

Well i live in England and i have just bought another axolotl for 15 pounds and for you in america it would be around $30 make sure you sell them for a fair price for your axolotl they are really endangered !!!!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It depends on the demand for them. I just gave away about 60 axolotls.

As far as their being endangered... in the wild, they're endangered, but there is no risk of them becoming extinct. They breed like rabbits. There's no need to charge more for them because they're listed on CITES.

Jake

Reaction score
Well i live in England and i have just bought another axolotl for 15 pounds and for you in america it would be around $30 make sure you sell them for a fair price for your axolotl they are really endangered !!!!

Yes you're absolutely right Ben, they are critically endangered! In the wild that is, but in captivity they're so popular that I use the smaller inferior larvae as treats for my newt larvae. If they were endangered in captivity, then there wouldn't be so many average people keeping them and breeding them.

Giving axolotls away to a good keeper is far better than selling them to someone that just thinks they're cool and doesn't have a clue what they require. Pet stores see them as another product to turn a profit off of, and if they sell you an over priced axolotl like that, then maybe they'll sucker you into buying an over priced tank, some gravel (that isn't even suitable for them), an over priced heater (that will probably kill them causing you to possibly go back to buy another over priced axolotl), and they might even convince you that they love to eat the store's parasite infested feeder fish (which are over priced, and hardly an acceptable food for them). It's a vicious cycle. They'll also give you a list of bad (in most cases, not all) care instructions because pet stores don't pay very well, and most can't afford to hire help that actually know what they're doing. Fight the system my friends!

Last edited:

IanF

Reaction score
I completely agree with Jacob, alot of pet stores give horrible advice and cheap products. When getting my first axolotl I asked for some advice, and the guy said "Uhh... well you feed them and stuff... like just throw in some earthworms from the garden, or some mince... oh and make sure the tank is 25 C or more cause they're from Spain. You can also take them out of the tank and put them in the bathtub if you need to clean it, or just put it in a moist container for awhile". Luckily, I had already done some reading on them and knew that these were all bad ideas but if it were someone abit more trusting than me, the axolotl wouldn't last a heck of a long time.

virago

Reaction score
Thanks everybody. It seems people want them when they are bigger. Mine are about 3/4 of an inch. Front limbs are formed and clear still. I will continue to nurture them and find homes when they are juveniles. I will be choosy.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
If you ask they store owners what they feed their animals they probably would lie and say that they use feeder gold fish. Some actually have told me that they never use feeders because of parasites and sickness. Never trust a petstore unless you know them very well. If you shop around and go to different store they all say something different but do the same thing. Which is trying to make profit with false details.

Jake

Reaction score
I was talking about most pet stores, not all. I have found a few that have a genuine interest in the axolotls, and actually take the time to read up on them, and if they aren't sure about something, they ask questions.

Then you have some exotic pet stores that think they're right about anything, and if a guy with long hair and a bunch of lip rings goes in there and tells them them that spotted salamanders don't like heat lamps or dry sawdust, they look at him like he's the idiot! (trust me, I've been there!)

Pet stores are ok for buying products, but for newts and salamanders, it's best to make connections with breeders and/or collectors because generally you can learn the most from those people.

philbaker76

Reaction score
I was talking about most pet stores, not all. I have found a few that have a genuine interest in the axolotls, and actually take the time to read up on them, and if they aren't sure about something, they ask questions.

Then you have some exotic pet stores that think they're right about anything, and if a guy with long hair and a bunch of lip rings goes in there and tells them them that spotted salamanders don't like heat lamps or dry sawdust, they look at him like he's the idiot! (trust me, I've been there!)

Pet stores are ok for buying products, but for newts and salamanders, it's best to make connections with breeders and/or collectors because generally you can learn the most from those people.

I agree 100% with Jake - I currently only sell my 5cm+ Axolotls to a couple of places; one pet shop and a few to my local aquatic shop (where I buy my bloodworm from).

...more than happy to give them away to fellow breeders/enthusiasts.

angry pirate

Reaction score
hi, sorry if i´this is the wrong place to post this but i was a bit lost, anyway i'm eglish and have been searching everywhere in england and online for a few axies, i've been researching everything about them for months now. however i haven't been able to find them anywhere, can anyone reccomend someone or somewhere, preferably a someone as i really don't want to have to buy from a store as everything dies there in a week. any help is greatly appriciated.

CarrotMuncher

Reaction score
I think that my fish store sell them for around fifteen, so I'd say maybe a bit lower. But you also want to make sure they're going to a good home.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!