C. Pyrrhogaster subspecies ID?

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hiya,
below some pix of my long-term C.Pyrrhogasters.

3 of them have the more speckled, crimson belly, while the 4th (a male) has a belly that is more orange and less speckled, without the tiny white dots. You can see him in the first pic.

PS: forgive the fugly plastic plants - still looking for more live plants to buy...

Attachments

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
I´d say sasayamae, but Joost is the guy to ask about this.

Joost

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Display Name
joost
The sasayamae is known by their white dots, although not every individual has them. The more speckled belly is also typical for this form. I've seen in captive bred animals btw, that they have a less speckled belly than wildcaught animals, and also the speckled belly is more seen in females.
I would say sasayamae as well, but it can be difficult to determine if the locality isn't known.

evut

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Eva
Your newts have beautiful red colouration. What do you feed them?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
They, in all likelihood, are WC adults, and that´s why they have a very red coloration, Eva.

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got them 13 years ago at a pet shop. At the time, the vendor said they were "probably" captive-bred, but in hindsight I doubt they were...they were probably WC, yeah...

Eva - I feed them all kinds of things, but the staple are frozen bloodworms. Also, mosquito larva in summer (never a shortage of those in Alaska), crickets, earthworms, whatever bug flies in the window, and live or frozen daphnia.

PereJosa

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Display Name
Peraka
Hello.
I'm agree with Azhael and Joost in the opinion about this exs. are probably like to sasayama, but, one newt (in the middle of 1st photo) in my opinion, it's not more tipical belly pattern for sasayama (but i think its sasayama) (but individual variation...), Molch you have more photos of this newt? i like watch other photos of this ex., only for curiosity....thanks!

Bye. Adeu

Last edited:

Joost

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Display Name
joost
Hello. one newt (in the middle of 1st photo) in my opinion, it's not more tipical belly pattern for sasayama (but i think its sasayama) (but individual variation...),
Please read my previous post ;)

...the speckled belly is more seen in females.

paul_b

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Display Name
Paul Bachhausen
AW: C. Pyrrhogaster subspecies ID?

Have a look to the males courting behavior!
Paul

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • faebugz:
    To raise GH, add calcium carbonate (or tums). What has you doing this?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Thank you! My tap water is naturally low in GH and KH, and I need to raise it... but I don't want to raise the pH, which is perfect, with coral.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EaglesFan78:
    anyone have firebelly newts forsale message me !!!!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • ShawnJPN:
    Lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Hey all I’m looking for some help.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    How do I create a thread?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    LYes? It might be easier if u posted a thread
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Yes, how can I do this? Is it by creating a room? Thank you for your help
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey guys, I suppose this is a foolish question, but will my long-toed salamanders over-eat resulting in obesity?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    what are thoughts on using crushed coral or tufa rocks for resining the ph level in my tank? I have the seachem ph alert and it’s reading 5.4
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    meowzilla has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Delaney:
    Hi, I really need some advice about cloudy water in my axlotl tank!
    +2
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as substrate getting kicked up, water hardness, etc. if you don’t have hard water and it doesn’t settle then I’d do a water change and see if that helps.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Caramello:
    Hey guys... Hope you all keeping well... I have 4 fire belly newts and one looks very bloated... I have seperate him and moved him to his own enclosure so he can get better hopefully but I don't have a filter in this specific enclosure. Please can you guys advise if I need to get him one or whether I can leave it? I have read a lot of articles that say they prefer still water and I can change his water frequently keeping it clean. Please advise 😊
    +1
    Unlike
    Caramello: Hey guys... Hope you all keeping well... I have 4 fire belly newts and one looks very bloated... +1