Calcium powder instead of eggshells?

merk199

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
rick
Can I use Rep-Cal instead of crushed eggshells, for the culturing of Eisenia hortensis? Every six months I toss it and am throwing out 3/4 jars so this would hopefully use more up.

Also has anyone purchased Eisenia hortensis from Vermitechnology? I have read some good reviews online for them.

I use rep-cal for my earthworm worm cultures...found it works best to dust it into some cheap goldfish flakes.

I to use Rep-cal in my cultures as well. I don't know about Johnny but I add the powder to my cultures twice a year. Even though I have quite a few reptiles I don't use all of my powder before it is set to expire so about a month before it expires (6 months after it is opened) I add it to my worm cultures.

Whenever I have expired batches of RepCal or Herptivite, I add it gradually to my worm bin. It certainly doesn't seem to do any harm.

Rep cal is good. Eggs shells are good too. Some worm breeders claim the albumen from egg shells is good for the worm eggs.

Thanks. I think I will do a little of both.

Hi!
I did not know that the egg shell was good for the worms, I think I'll start putting in my culture! The purpose of the Rep cal, do not know what it is,can not do the translation for my language! I think it is calcium for reptilesI, however please do not mind telling me what it is! I have a culture of dendrobaena and there is no way to get all that you can give that to reproduce itself is excellent!
thanks

Rep-cal is a brand of powdered calcium. It is used to coat various feeder insects before feeding them to your reptiles and/or amphibians.

The main reason I would prefer the rep-cal over the eggshells is the knowledge of eggs being associated with salmonella,I would microwave them for a few minutes or freeze them for a week to be safe,before I took a chance.Bone meal for plants is useable as long as it's pure,read the label!

The main reason I would prefer the rep-cal over the eggshells is the knowledge of eggs being associated with salmonella,I would microwave them for a few minutes or freeze them for a week to be safe,before I took a chance.Bone meal for plants is useable as long as it's pure,read the label!
Interesting point. I let the egg shells dry thoroughly and then grind them into a powder before use. I think the drying kills most bacteria. And the salmonella probably doesn't stand a chance competing against all the other bacteria in a worm bin.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back