Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Calling all Pseudotriton Ruber keepers.

TristanClark

Reaction score
I am a keeper of p. ruber and I have noticed nobody really keeps this species or knows much about them. I have found that they do extremely good in captivity compared to other plethodontids. This post is for anyone that keeps this species or has any pictures or information on them, any information on them is useful to keepers as there is not much around even on this forum.

TristanClark

Reaction score
herphunter1998-albums-stuff-picture28741-red-salamander.jpg
herphunter1998-albums-stuff-picture28740-red-salamander-setup.jpg

http://www.caudata.org/forum/member...-stuff-picture28927-changed-p-ruber-setup.jpg

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Though you have to dig a little, there are several people on the forum who have kept and even bred P. ruber. It is one of the most commonly kept plethodontids actually.

You are correct, they are relatively hardy captives.

TristanClark

Reaction score
This is my more simple setup with a land area. To keep the water cool i float ice packs in it all day every day and the water stays about 55 degrees
herphunter1998-albums-stuff-picture28927-changed-p-ruber-setup.jpg

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Clean, cool, slow moving water with plenty of stable rock piles is all you need to keep them. I always kept mine fully aquatic. Even though I do find them yards away from any water source from time to time.

Niels D

Reaction score
I'm starting making my animals a big tank after the holidays. They're now in a terrestrial setup in which they're doing great, but they're ready for some water. I'm keeping schencki.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1