Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cameroon Blue Caecilian

niajetze

Reaction score
does anyone know anything about this species as I have seen some for sale and they are very odd .... I dont want one but am curious non the less it was described as an amphibian but looked more like an eel

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Caecilians are often called 'rubber eels'. In the US, having 'legal' caecilians is practically impossible due to import/export issues. I don't know about the UK.

nate

Reaction score
There are two species that are generally sold under the name "Cameroon Blue Caecilians", Herpele squalastoma and Geotrypetes seraphini. Both of these species are terrestrial. If the caecilians you saw were aquatic, they were most likely Typhlonectes natans, which are certainly not from Cameroon!

Kaysie: As for the legality of caecilians in the U.S., I'm not sure where you have received that information. There are several species of caecilians readily available and legally imported into the U.S. The only species seen in the hobby with any potential legal issues is the Rio Cauca caecilian, which I have been told personally by USFW, is not an issue for the pet purchaser.

Ed

Reaction score
snip "which I have been told personally by USFW, is not an issue for the pet purchaser."endsnip

And several times in the past I was told the exact opposite...

Ed

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of their set up for Herpele squalastoma? I have 3 on the way and am interested in how everyone is keeping theirs

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!