Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can a "mudpuppy" morph like a "axolotl" can?

S

steve

Can a "mudpuppy"(Necturus) morph like a "axolotl"(Ambystoma) can?

*ALSO: was at a pet store, What's A GOOD WAY to tell a mudpuppy/axolotl/tiger sallie larvae from each other.

Im thinking from photos that mudpuppys are somewhat easy but the other two seem the same.

Steve

Ralf

Reaction score
Mudpuppies (Family Proteidae, Genus Necturus) as well as their close relative in Europe, Proteus anguinus are not able to morph anymore (as well as Amphiuma, Pseudobranchus, Siren, Typhlomolge and Typhlotriton to name some more).

Ralf

Ralf

Reaction score
Thanks for the update and the picture, Nate. You're exactly right. You don't get a land-living salamander by trying to induce metamorphosis in these species, was what I wanted to say.
Obviously this doesn't hold true for Typhlotriton. As my literature tells me, Typhlotriton spelaeus is the only blind cave-dwelling salamander that loses its gills and transforms. My fault.

Ralf

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!