Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can crickets cause stress in s. s. t. juveniles?

E

ester

I tried asking this in the help area but perhaps it's more a question that belongs here.

When I first added crickets to the terrarium the salamanders (juveniles) came out during daytime to try and catch them. However, they haven't come out at all now for a few days.

I added a whole box of crickets and there are still like 20 or so in a 60x30x30 (cm) terrarium. Could they be causing stress, or do the salamanders simply not come out because they ate a full meal?

E

edward

When feeding crickets it is not a good idea to add more than the salamanders can eat in a couple of hours. Left over crickets can cause stress in the salamanders but even more importantly can chew holes in the salamanders potentially severely injuring the salamanders or even eventually causing their death.
Ed

E

ester

Thanks Ed,
I've started to recapture the ones that are still in there. I checked the salamanders yesterday, they were doing ok. No wounds and round bellies. But it's not normal for them to hide in their cave at night.

I normally feed them woodlice, fruitflies and slugs (and have those running free in their terrarium). Woodlice are only a danger to really small morphs. Crickets were something new for me and the salamanders. I'll wait a bit before I get them again.

Ester

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!