Can I feed axolotl yellow perch?

lululemon982

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was fishing with my family today, and I caught a yellow perch. My breeder said axolotls can eat raw fish that was frozen for 30 days, does anyone know if perch can be eaten?

The general rule of thumb is feed freshwater creatures with saltwater species and feed saltwater creatures with freshwater species.
This is to hopefully avoid parasites that already affect freshwater species.

All the vets I've spoken with have reiterated this.

The general rule of thumb is feed freshwater creatures with saltwater species and feed saltwater creatures with freshwater species.
This is to hopefully avoid parasites that already affect freshwater species.

All the vets I've spoken with have reiterated this.
I commonly see salmon listed as an ingredient in Axolotl safe pellets- is that just a different rule?

Salmon is an anadromous fish - spawn and start life in freshwater before moving to saltwater. I used to catch them in the Pacific Ocean off Vancouver Island so the rule still stands.
Cod is the other fish frequently recommended also saltwater
Shrimp as well.

And its Salmon pellets as in fed to Salmon - the ingredients list fish meal so theres a question as to what fish that is. Rangen in the producer of those pellets. Frequently repackaged and resold.

I commonly see salmon listed as an ingredient in Axolotl safe pellets- is that just a different rule?

Salmon is an anadromous fish - spawn and start life in freshwater before moving to saltwater. I used to catch them in the Pacific Ocean off Vancouver Island so the rule still stands.
Cod is the other fish frequently recommended also saltwater
Shrimp as well.

And its Salmon pellets as in fed to Salmon - the ingredients list fish meal so theres a question as to what fish that is. Rangen in the producer of those pellets. Frequently repackaged and resold.
Gotcha. Thanks for answering :)

The salmon is not an ingredient of salmon pellets. Soft moist salmon pellets are made for food for farm raised salmon. The pellets are also used for axolotl food. If you feed fresh water fish to axolotls you risk passing on parasites. If you freeze and then thaw the fish you alleviate some of the parasite risk.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back