Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can I keep an adult and a sub-adult axolotl together safely?

faebugz

Reaction score
Lavender is about 3 years old, and clocks in around 10.5-11" last time I checked. Here's a handful of pictures so you get an idea of what a chonk she is:

PXL_20210613_071606949.MP.jpg

PXL_20210223_025141021.MP.jpg

Lavender is very chilled out, especially as an adult. But she has never been particularly rowdy. (Also not completely sure she is a she).
Unfortunately she is a little bit traumatized after I went camping for 2 weeks, but that's another story. She's physically doing better, but is still coming out of her shell again with me.

Arthur is about 1.5 years old, and I only got him about 2+ months ago. He was on the brink of death, barely even 5" long. He is now a healthy 7" or so:

PXL_20210829_110255864.jpg

PXL_20210822_233548254.PORTRAIT.jpg

As you can see, although he is only 3" shorter, lavender is probably double his size.

I don't think she would be able to eat him, also not sure if she would even want to. She doesn't tend to seek out food, she prefers it to wave right in her face (preferably hand fed, what a diva).

My issue right now is the 5 gallon tank I put Arthur in temporarily when I rescued him is quickly becoming cramped. It was fine when he was still putting on weight and getting his strength back, but he's starting to look a little stressed in there.

At what point would I be okay to add him to Lavender's tank? It's a 3ft long 30 gallon with an aquaclear75 and big sponge filter, btw, this is it:
PXL_20210829_081203074.jpg

She loves her hammock btw, highly recommend one for your axi

faebugz

Reaction score
Oh and I meant to say, Arthur is super active and constantly starving, or at least acts like he is. Maybe because he's so little still, but he's always on the move looking for food. Not sure if that could end up being an issue for Lavender, but I think lavender would like some company. She gets lonely

JM29

Reaction score
With a length difference of 4", I think it's really risky for Arthur, especially if Lavender is used to be alone. She is nearly 4 times heavier than him !
(the only things she sees moving around are preys I suppose).
Moreover, axolotls are not social animals and can live alone without any problem.

With the time, Arthur will probably grow to near the same length as Lavender. Please be patient

faebugz

Reaction score
With a length difference of 4", I think it's really risky for Arthur, especially if Lavender is used to be alone. She is nearly 4 times heavier than him !
(the only things she sees moving around are preys I suppose).
Moreover, axolotls are not social animals and can live alone without any problem.

With the time, Arthur will probably grow to near the same length as Lavender. Please be patient
Is it common for axolotls to grow to that size? I see some posts on here where they seem to top out not much larger than Arthur.

Also, can you sex lavender based on the first pic?

AMurry24537

Reaction score
So when I first got my axolotl, a friend actually held on to him for a little bit while my tank cycled. She put him into one of her tanks with a fully grown, very friendly axolotl, and my always-hungry idiot boi took a biiiiiig chomp out of the other's tail. At the time, he was 5" and she was 10," literally TWICE his size. Now he's over 12 inches long and quite chonky because he's so well-fed but I still have no plans of putting him with another axolotl because he basically thinks anything that moves (including his own reflection once or twice) is food, lol

xxianxx

Reaction score
Its not advisable to mix axolotl with such a size difference, they may be fine but you wont know if its a problem until the smaller one is missing or missing bits. Axolotl are canabalistic and smaller axolotl can suffer from stress in the prescence of larger ones.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!