Can I use and aquarium as a vivarium?

zoezakella

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Zoe
Ok am still trying too sort a home out for my frogs and wondered what is the difference between an aquarium and a vivarium apart from the doors and the vents? As it is with my darts I will need to cover the top with glass anyway so can I just use a fish tank? would love to hear your opinions on this :D thanks for your help

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
as long as its setup correctly and escape proof there is no problem with it i always use fish tanks

obrowell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Owen
Yep! I've always used fish tanks for my darts. Just make sure that there is adequate ventilation.

zoezakella

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Zoe
Cheers for that guys :D

Ok fish tank it is then. In someways I think its better as you dont get obstructed viewiing due to front grill and doors.

Presume its a small ventilation grid I would make due to keeping humidity in? Can I ask what would be an adequate sized vent for a 60 x 40 x 40 top space?

Thanks again for your help!!!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kaysie
The main difference between aquariu and vivaria is the thickness of the glass. Aquarium glass is much thicker because it has to hold back the weight of the water.

zoezakella

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Zoe
Not sure yet till I find one but something like clearseal, fluval, jewel etc :happy:

Dragonfire

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Connor
Yep! I've always used fish tanks for my darts. Just make sure that there is adequate ventilation.

Adequate ventilation for darts isn't very much my tanks only have one small vent on the front. Dart frog tanks don't really need much ventilation

Dragonfire

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Connor
Cheers for that guys :D

Ok fish tank it is then. In someways I think its better as you dont get obstructed viewiing due to front grill and doors.

Presume its a small ventilation grid I would make due to keeping humidity in? Can I ask what would be an adequate sized vent for a 60 x 40 x 40 top space?

Thanks again for your help!!!

Like I said in my last post ventilation isn't that big of an issue many places don't even use vents in their tanks at all. I would look for other advice than me because I only keep thumbnail dart frog species though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • differencess:
    Daphnia water fleas, mosquito larvae and any larve will do
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lilith:
    Ok Thank You. ^-^
    +1
    Unlike
  • Austin Wayneg:
    I just got a tiger salamander and it's not eating
    +1
    Unlike
  • ArpTheAxolotl:
    Congrats. D6
    +1
    Unlike
  • SubZero:
    What are you feeding it
    +2
    Unlike
  • Austin Wayneg:
    Red worms
    +1
    Unlike
  • Audrey22:
    Try various foods to mimic a natural diet. If your worms are dead, try living things for sure. My newts prefer live food almost exclusively. My eastern newts eat snails, black worms, baby brine and others. They are like picky children. Maybe blood worms are their broccoli lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • rads:
    Hey there guys! My tank is cycled but I'm still battling ammonia spikes just when I get it down to zero. I keep the tank clean and do water changes when needed to lower it. Ammonia is about .25-.5 right now, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate ppm. Not sure why two months in now it's still fluctuating?
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    @axolotl nerd, rads, the cycle has crashed or the tank wasnt fully cycled to start with. Remove the animals to a seperate tank or tub, give 100% daily water changes. It can take a while to cycle a tank if its yr first time.
    +2
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hey guys! We had our first unexpected hot day and I was an idiot and forgot to put on the fan for my axolotl tank. When I came to feed her at around 7, I noticed the tank was 75 degrees!! It has never been this warm, it’s always a stable 67ish without a fan. It was only this warm for today (yesterday it was normal temps), and I immeditately got the fan on when I saw. It is down to 69 degrees now. Is my axie going to be ok with the increase in temperature for a day?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Oh that’s in Fahrenheit by the way, I think in Celsius it almost got up to 24 c if I’m not mistaken
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Axie is showing no signs of stress whatsoever
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    A short temp spike is unlikely to cause any long term probs