Can ribbed newts live in a pond?

wnorman293

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I live in the UK and have had 2 SRNs for a little while now. They have ended up breeding, so I have bought a 2nd tank to cycle, so the adults can go in there (for the eggs to have a better chance of survival). Breeding wasn't intended but... Nature. Anyway, I will be giving these to a pet shop most likely and / or friends who would like one. One friend asked if they could live OK in a pond. I know that would be their natural habitat, but would a pond in the UK climate be OK?

UK is large.
If you are in Cornwall, you have almost the same climate as I have.
I keep my ribbed newts in a non heated room where the temperatures vary from 4 to 22°C.
What about your pond ?

They will be fine in a UK pond. It would have to be secure as the may go terrestrial and bail. The pond would also need to isolated from native amphibian populations as the ribbed could potentially carry bd.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back