Can Tigers Choke on Worms?

JWWyo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've finally got both of my Tigers to eat now, but I was wondering if they can choke on earthworms? The larger of my two drug his worm back into the hide last night (the smaller prefers to eat in the water dish) and just now I saw him sitting out with the tail end of the worm sticking out of his mouth. Now I had no idea when he actually decided to eat the worm but he doesn't appear to be trying to swallow. He's just sitting there. When I started to reach into the tank, he ran into the hide again. I'm feeding "baby dillys" that are maybe 3-4 inches long.

It’s not unusual that recent tiger morphs have trouble adjusting to eating in their terrestrial state. In time they should get the hang of it. If you feel the worms are too large, try cutting them in half before feeding them. Some individual salamanders are more secluded than others.

I don't want to give you a definitive no because anything can happen but I wouldn't worry to much. Salamanders are capable of eating fairly large in comparison to their size. However you still need to feed them food that is an appropriate size. Worms (earthworms of some sort I assume) are are thin and often while in the process of swallowing the length of the worm it will hang out of their mouth until it gulps in the whole thing. As stated maybe cut them shorter. I have seen my some of my newts grab a worm not intended for them and a hair to long take in most of it and then spit the whole thing up because it didn't have room. Never seen one choke though so as long as the food is of right size they should be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back