Can you help me determine the gender of my smooth newt (Lissotriton vulgaris)?

Cyrus

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Hi, I recently bought two smooth newts (Lissotriton vulgaris). The guy I bought them from told me one of them is male and the other is female but after I did a little bit research, I got confused with my "supposed" female. Can you please tell me what's its gender? I uploaded a few pictures of it.

Attachments

• 20170223_232203.jpg
    20170223_232203.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 281
  • 20170224_125350.jpg
    20170224_125350.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 208
  • 20170224_125418.jpg
    20170224_125418.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 252
Male smooth newts have a much more developed wavy dorsal crest in the breeding season. Females are particularly difficult to tell apart, similiar in size, the best pointer is the darker spotting or speckling on the throats of Smooth Newts. ( Copied and pasted from another article on smooth newt sexing.)

I think it's a young male, because it has:

a black cloaca
a dotted line along the back where the crest will develop
large spots on the belly (females usually have small spots)
a black stripe on the mouth

I would expect the cloaca to become darker, and more spots to develop on its sides as it matures.

So it's a male :(
Thank you so much for your answers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back