Question: Can you use bottled water for your axolotls ??

reptilesJD

Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Hi so I recently lost 5 of my baby axolotls so now I'm going to put the two that survive back in their tank but I want to make sure I used potable water to ensure that they will survive . can I use bottled water for my axolotls ????:confused:

Re: Cab you use bottled water for your axolotls ??

You can if you want to. I'm curious about your tank set-up. I too got axolotls from Todd and at their size, I wouldn't have them in a regular tank. Mine are mostly set up in individual small tupperware (I lost one due to a sibling nipping injury before I separated them). I have a few of the larger ones together, but they're in a large plastic tote with some fake plants as hides and no substrate.

If you got some from the same batch I did, I'd give yours more time individually to grow so you can monitor them and easily change out the water frequently to keep it clean.

I also meant to say in the meantime you can start their tank again cycling so that it will be ready when they're large enough to share it.

Yes, just make sure it is labeled "drinking water" or "spring water". You don't want the distilled, it doesn't have the minerals your Axolotl needs.

Yes, just make sure it is labeled "drinking water" or "spring water". You don't want the distilled, it doesn't have the minerals your Axolotl needs.

Thanks again you all , if you are giving away axolotls I will be glad to have them

It should be noted that bottled water may be derived from a public water source and may contain the residual disinfectants chloramine, chlorine, and chlorine dioxide. Spring water is typically used for amphibians, if using bottled water. The manufacturer will usually provide water chemistry information on its website, which can be useful in making a brand decision.

It should be noted that bottled water may be derived from a public water source and may contain the residual disinfectants chloramine, chlorine, and chlorine dioxide. Spring water is typically used for amphibians, if using bottled water. The manufacturer will usually provide water chemistry information on its website, which can be useful in making a brand decision.

Thanks !!!

Hi so I recently lost 5 of my baby axolotls so now I'm going to put the two that survive back in their tank but I want to make sure I used potable water to ensure that they will survive . can I use bottled water for my axolotls ????:confused:
I would STILL test the bottled spring water. Publix water was way OFF with pH. Zephyrhills water was fine.

I would STILL test the bottled spring water. Publix water was way OFF with pH. Zephyrhills water was fine.
So sorry about losing your babies ! Breaks your heart ~ doesn't it. Are you SURE it wasn't Cannibalism? Separate them NOW - before you lose them all. (except one)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back