Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Canadian stores talk (pet store not walmart LOL)

S

steve

I wondered up to canada today (shhh!) and went to a "NEWER" pet store in ontario. does anyone else find the prices to be, well, a little steep?

This place had only fire sallies and firebelly newts. The fire sallies were $89.99 + 15% ahhhh! ($66.24 US @ todays market rate) EACH. The most expensive fire i've seen RETAIL was: $39.99US. (of course Ive seen them for $12.00 too shhh!)

The other thing I've noticed was the firebellys were kept on a MOSS/SOIL "dry looking" substrate. The girl says: "you probably cant see them because they are hiding" NOW, I know they can survive on land (like a lot of others) BUT doesnt cynops O. prefer water? I KNOW MINE ALWAYS HAVE!
(side note: after seeing the "dryness" and the girl saying "hiding" Im thinking DECEASED! LOL)

The only other thing that made me frown was the price of a GIANT ryukin goldfish, THEY WANTED $375.00+15% for ONE goldfish. ($276.19Us) I've seen these for "maximum without show quality" @ $40.00

just thought i'd ask you guys if this "pricing" is everywhere in Canada?

steve
p.s. I know rob will reply right? LOL

P

paris

ive seen fire salamanders here in colorado for between 35-50 $-that is for the most common type-nothing fancy. what is more odd is i paid 30$ in california for a blue spotted salamander.

R

rob

Most the prices in Canada are fairly high. The demand is low and the availability is also low, so they can get away with charging pretty much whatever they want. The pet stores near me charge $69.99 for their Fires, $9.99 for their CFB's, $16.99 for their Rough Skins, and $16.99 for Broken Stripeds.

S

steve

wow. Paris, ive never seen a blue spotted for sale.(although i hope for some this spring LOL) was there a couple for you to have pairs at least (for $30.00)?

steve

P

paris

nope- just one, and the other salamander they had in there looked suspiciously like a torrent sal.(with the square protruding mucus glands) i didnt buy that one as it looked unwell and they were in a heated tank. two years after i got the blue spot it died-btw. i know 30 seems high, but try locating those things in person! if something is bred in high numbers and is easy to raise i would expect a lower price. but if things are not commonly on the market, hard to locate or are really hard to raise i am not to squeemish about paying a higher price-as long as they are healthy. after all-how else would i get them? a herp trip costs lots of $$$ in gas and what not (although im cheap enough to sleep in my car or camp)and then there is the time involved (im in colorado-so to go to any area that has sals -other than tigers-i have to travel for 2 days) and then you have to be able to locate them once you get there....so in that respect it was a fair price for a mole salamander.

S

steve

sorry, i was just stating i never seen them for sale. (i wish i did) they are in my range (i think) and will LOOK HARD this spring for everybody!! (i promise)

steve

p.s. i would pay $$ for something rare too (per my other posts) but not FIRES (uless they are orange and dance LOL)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!