Care of the orned frog

T

tom

Does anyone know how easy are ornate or cranwels horned frogs to care as pets. what are their main requirements and would you recomend them. (my only other experience of anurans are oriental fire bellied toads)

The title is meant to say horned but it says orned because the keys on this keyboard don't work very well
happy.gif

horned frogs are a good beginner species i think because they don't require much in a terrarium just dirt to burrow in and a water bowl to soak but you need to keep the humidity reletively high.

Keep these elements consistent and you will be fine:

- 10 gallon tank
- Moist coconut fiber substrate
- Temperature of 78-82F (higher is better for juveniles)
- Moderate humidity (60-80% is safe)
- Gut-loaded insects, coated with vitamin powder every other feeding
- Shallow water bowl

The pacman is a great beginner frog, but you must have these elements in place for your frog to thrive. Please consult this care sheet if you have not already:

http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/caresheets/hornedfrog.html

Thanks, and all the best.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back