Carolina's Caudates on my Mind

Jefferson

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last Friday, winter semester ended, and it saw me cruising south along I-81 to the music of Allison Krauss and George Strait toward what may be properly called "Salamander Mecca," the hills of Western North Carolina. As I rolled south, I noticed a tanker truck for Sheetz that had the words, "Hottest coffee on the interstate," etched on the back of the tanker, along with a flammable placard. No kidding about that hot coffee, I thought! Only later did it hit me the truck was hauling gas but advertising for the coffee!! Upon reaching the heart of Appalachia off the interstate, the lush foliage of the Shenandoah Valley disappeared with the elevation increase along the Virginia-Tennessee border, and by the time I reached my quaint motel destination, none of the deciduous trees had any leaves on them, and only the evergreens high on the ridges hinted at life's persistence in the steep stream ravines.

Upon my girlfriend Bethany's arrival, we hit a road known to have Yonahlossee Salamanders but didn't turn any up. In the process of looking for the chestnut-backed plethodon, however, we came upon Northern Gray-cheeked, Blue Ridge Dusky, White-spotted Slimy, Seal, Eastern Redback, and Blue Ridge Two-Lined Salamanders, three of which were lifers for Bethany. Despite the lack of Yonahlossee, spot #1 was an unmitigated success. With that, we headed off to a high mountaintop of spruce-fir and craggy cliffs to search for the Weller's Salamander, so named for the Ohio naturalist Worth Hamilton Weller, who died at age 18 collecting specimens of his new species. After hiking about a mile through the rocky woods and galax underbrush, a group of logs and rocks yielded a treasure trove: three Weller's Salamanders, jet black below with brilliant golden blotches above. Euphoric but with stomachs growling like Doberman Pinchers in a James Bond movie, we headed back down the mountain to have lunch and plan our next offensive. So it was that we drove the narrow, winding mountain roads north from Yonahlossee country into the hinterlands north of Boone to an isolated little-known mountaintop where Southern Ravine Salamanders inhabit the summit's dry rocky situations without the confusion of being alongside Redbacks. Bethany flipped a Southern Ravine under her first rock....it took me over 100 last year!!! The last spot of the day was a spot reputed to have P. yonahlossee, but we once again struck out, finding only slimies and multitudinous Blue Ridge Duskies as a thunderstorm rolled in over the hills. Unfortunately, the rain didn't last for long, and a road cruise proved to be in vain, as most of the water on the roads had evaporated.

Day two was my chance to get at least some lifers while continuing to help Bethany add to her list, and I capitalized. The first spot was in the South Mountains of North Carolina, a region that can't seem to decide whether it wants to be in the mountains or the Piedmont. In a beautiful riparian zone of a trout stream where I submerged myself to fully wake up, we found a couple of behemoth Garter Snakes and a South Mountains Gray-cheeked Salamander, my first and only lifer of the trip. These salamanders live only in a few square miles of the South Mountains and are uncommon in most of that area.

An attempt thereafter to find a Blue Ridge Gray-cheek while dodging county mounties (it's a miracle we weren't pulled over with our Virginia tags on such rural roads) proved unsuccessful despite multiple attempts, though we did see a huge Ring-necked Snake beside a campground stream before the presence of an Ursus Americanus deterred any further search. Conceding defeat on Plethodon amplus, we headed back up into the mountains around Asheville and hit the parkway, observing three or four rainbows in the valleys below as we went. I can't recall ever standing above a rainbow before, and I must say it was one of the most gorgeous things I have ever seen to gaze out over the imposing Blue Ridge and see a rainbow with smoke rising from the hills around it. High on the slopes of Mt. Mitchell, we netted a host of Carolina Mountain Dusky sallies and a Northern Pigmy, both lifers for Bethany.

Our last day was spent in sole pursuit of Plethodon yonahlossee. We decided to re-visit the road from day one and do an all-out exhaustive search of multiple spots along the road, which turned up more than 125 salamanders, but no Yonahlossees were to be had there. At lunch, we did some last-minute research to try to pin down P. yonahlossee somewhere else and found a spot along the TN-NC border that looked promising. After a drive that tested my transmission, engine, and patience, we arrived at a high-elevation rhododendron forest, where we found a gaggle of Weller's Salamanders and Slimies along with a few Redbacks but no Yonahlossee in the drizzle and fog. This finished up the trip's herping in fitting fashion: it left us something to see next time, and I'm not about to complain about having to return.

Final count: 13 species of salamander, 8 lifers for Bethany, 1 for me, across 8 counties in Tennessee and North Carolina. Over 200 salamanders total.

All in all, it was amazing to get back into North Carolina's mountains and see some classic Appalachian endemics. This is one part of the country that never loses its charm for me. Happy herpin' you all!
Jefferson

Attachments

olm

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow! That sounds pretty fun and exciting; looks like you found some really nice ones!!!

kamil

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Thank you for sharing! I want to explore the Pisgah Forrest a little on sunday and you just added a lot to the motivation?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Lonewolf:
    Ok I’m new so I have a pink Axolotl and it’s a baby like two three max inches and it eats from the top and it has now been floating a while now should I be worried ?? The other one is at the bottom of the tank and the tail isint hoocked or the gills aren’t curved flowerd they seem relaxed
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lonewolf:
    ?? I’m new owner to the type of fish
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Lonewolf has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    Hi I recently rescued a lotl (i did weeks of research before rescuing) Hes mabey 5 or 6 years of age..the previous owner could not remember the exact age of him. I got him from her as he was or had been picked on by his tank mate another lotl who was bough with him from every younger age, I noticed one of his gills, a middle one at the end had split in two? And is slightly more floppy? He also appears or mabey I'm just over worried to mabey have lost some feathers, is that normal to lose some?...all levels in the tank are fine, but wondered if theres and advice anyone could give me as an experienced owner to a new one.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Axolotl Queen:
    @Lanalotl Sounds like the gills may have been nipped by the tank mate. If he is in his own tank and the parameters etc are all good, then he should grow them back and they should go back to full health and strength. However, depending on how old the injury is they may not fully grow back if they have been constantly nipped at.
    +2
    Unlike
  • Smknmom421:
    Can anyone tell me why this is happening? We just did a water change and after freaking out and whipping around the tank, an hour later they look like this. It won't let me send a pic. The edges of their gills are white and it looks like they have skin shedding off
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    That sounds like severe skin damage. If you post a thread on the forum, you can attach pictures.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    It sounds like something went wrong with the water change, so this could be very dangerous. Did you use a dechlorinator? Could it be there are traces of chlorine or soap in the water? (Or for example, in the bucket you used?)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Normally, I would recommend taking them out of the tank asap and putting them in a tub with fresh water, but if there's something wrong with your tap water or dechlorinator, that might not help either. Do you have acces to bottled water or rain water?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sal22:
    I think my axie is dying, he’s never had any issues before, I’ve had him 3 years, today I noticed some fluffy looking stuff coming from his genital area so I took him out of his tank and did a full tank clean to make sure the water wasn’t infected as I thought it was fungus and then I noticed he had a cut on his belly which was only small about 5 hours ago and now it’s spread to all of his belly, what do I do I’m freaking out
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sal22:
    Update about my axie, unfortunately he has died over night, he looked as if he was bruised allover his belly, his mucus layer had also started to come off.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ganaa:
    Anyone here from DMV?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Hi I have 2 4in juveniles (I’ve had them about 2 weeks and they are doing well I think they’ve grown a little already honestly) but I am supposed to go on a 5-6 day vacation in October about 3-4 months from now. I am wondering how I should go about their care when I am gone. I thought about putting them in separate (fairly big) containers with live plants and/or bubblers with a fan in the dark and either fridging them (my last plan) but I am hoping to to either have someone I trust come feed them and turkey baste waste out or just leave them out and clean the containers before we leave and have someone come check on them once or twice. Does any of this sound like a good or bad idea? I want the best for them. All help appreciated :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ganaa:
    @patrickstar116, do you still have your fire salamanders?
    +1
    Unlike
  • patrickstar116:
    @Ganaa, I do you may message me if you wish
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    hi.....
    +1
    Unlike
  • JDeslippe21:
    Hi, so I have 2 male axolotls and about an hour ago they were both perfectly fine and now only one of them has his tail curling up and his gills are slightly curled?? But other than that they’re both acting normally
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Could be he's just excited, spooked or temporarily stressed, which could pass in a few hours. It could also be an indicator of other problems. Do you have any recent water parameters?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Does anyone have any idea how to help with high ammonia levels? I have the API freshwater master kit and everything else’s test results were great besides ammonia. I did a 50% water change and I use API products including ammonia lock.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    Help! I got my first axolotl two days ago and they have stopped eating. They ate a few frozen blood worms the first day and haven’t eaten or been interested in food since. I feed them frozen blood worms and the tank is around 64 degrees. I do have a filter that moves sometimes and I noticed them swimming up to it, I have a new filter and a fan coming today or tomorrow. I leave the worms in the tank or a little bit before taking them out so I don’t know if they ate when I wasn’t looking. I know it takes a while for them to digest. Does anyone have any tips or knowledge they can share? The pet store I bought them from didn’t have gravel or sand in the tank so I’m not sure if theres an issue or if I’m just impatient. Thank you!
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu, how big they are? also for substrate, i would not do gravel at all I would either do sand or none at all!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    They are about 2-3 inches long and I have them in a bare bottom tank
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu I would say try live black/blood worms untell they are full or just turn there head away ( that's what mine do) if that does not work try to get some live brine shrimp and see if they eat that. baby axolotl prefer live food over frozen food as the frozen food is too cold for them or they can't eat it in one go( that's if you do the blocks) mine eat chopped up frozen thawed shrimp. as for them not eating from what I have experienced with my second axolotl, I got her when she was about an inch long and she ate every day, when they start getting 3-4 inches long they will gradually slow down there eating. and if you really want to do substrate I would do sand because if they do ingest a little bit it won't hurt them.
    +1
    Unlike
    HalfDrunkToast: @MuggleMiChu I would say try live black/blood worms untell they are full or just turn there head... +1