Cedar wood safe?

crocodilesjaw

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

I just picked up some dirt from a garden centre and noticed a cool piece of wood on a pile of 12 foot split wood from some sort of rails, I asked if I could buy the small piece but the guy said I could just have it, but he also told me its cedar. The wood looks pretty old, I was wondering if it would be safe to put in a salamander tank after baking it? Would the oils hurt the salamander? If it's not worth risking the little guys skin would it be safe in a snake tank? I'm just wondering if the oils only pose a danger if the wood is ground up or fresh, or if any cedar is just bad.
Thanks!!

Here's the piece, there's only a bit of the inside exposed (the light colour)

Attachments

• IMAG6677.jpg
    IMAG6677.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 279
  • IMAG6678.jpg
    IMAG6678.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 286
The hole in the wood looks pretty sweet, but also might puncture a salamander because of its jaggedness. Maybe a fish tank?

The hole in the wood looks pretty sweet, but also might puncture a salamander because of its jaggedness. Maybe a fish tank?

Thanks for the link!! Its actually pretty soft, I think it was labelled as "antique" wood rail pieces. It's not mushy (yet) but I think it has some light moss on it in places and it's super weathered. It's definitely cool! Just wish it wasn't cedar :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back