ceramic axolotl hides!

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
ren
hello! i originally posted about this in my thread “axolotl art repost lol“ but figured id make my own thread for ceramics
i wanted to let you all know that i’m getting back into ceramics! i’m making large hides for axolotl and other amphibians, which i will soon glaze then fire :)
as soon as they’re done, they’ll be up on my etsy. pm me for the link!

some pieces
FAC2005A-EE02-4872-98D2-5C84C843FEFF.jpeg
311281C9-19F6-468B-A147-34F77D98832C.jpeg
8C6255F6-AD30-4ED8-B5D9-A5E6A9CA6F78.jpeg
0E6F68CA-02E3-4B48-8A94-0E3154D5DF40.jpeg

here’s the tree trunk, working on smoothing out the interior :)

WOW those are so cool!:love: Do you go work on them at an art studio type place?

update: the beehive will be going for $150 or slightly less, as it is quite large and was a difficult piece to create.
the logs will be $15 each, and the tree trunk will be $20. i’ll send you my etsy upon pm :)

These are so cool and much needed! Amazing work!

the kiln is finally working!! im getting my pieces fired then glazed as soon as possible then they will be up for sale on my etsy!!!

i plan on doing something like this sometime soon, but i don’t want to steal ideas. i’d likely just take some inspiration from it.
9D21B13E-04FF-4992-9062-A618C20C153E.jpeg

thrilled to say that the bumble bee hive is in the kiln! it will be fired tomorrow morning and ready friday morning. i will put it up on my etsy as soon as possible!!

I have axolotls:)
great! the one i just made will be about 30 ish, here are some pictures of it. it’s about axolotl size but i might do a bigger one for like 50-55 ish. i’m done with sculpting but intend to glaze it a bright red with green leaves and yellow seeds :)
8553519A-4C72-40E9-B7BB-3DC889A53C28.jpeg
ACC95C9E-A346-482C-A0AA-12AFBD9D8A62.jpeg

BA231650-D246-4580-994E-D92110A8F306.jpeg
005A4B06-0E7B-4A2A-BA25-163EA8672592.jpeg

the beehive, after three years, is finally complete. it stayed in the clay closet for about a year and a half, was actually worked on for about 3 weeks, and painted with glaze for about an hour. alas, finally, upon checking the kiln- the beehive has been glazed. it’s a bit more of a dark yellow than i would have preferred, but i’m sure someone will like it as it will be for sale on my etsy. i will have to completely evaluate the piece to look for any cracking, errors, or cosmetic problems before i decide on price :)
thanks everyone! couldn’t have done any of this without you!

the beehive, after three years, is finally complete. it stayed in the clay closet for about a year and a half, was actually worked on for about 3 weeks, and painted with glaze for about an hour. alas, finally, upon checking the kiln- the beehive has been glazed. it’s a bit more of a dark yellow than i would have preferred, but i’m sure someone will like it as it will be for sale on my etsy. i will have to completely evaluate the piece to look for any cracking, errors, or cosmetic problems before i decide on price :)
thanks everyone! couldn’t have done any of this without you!
im just impatiently waiting for it to be cool enough for me to remove it from the kiln without it cracking - i’m so excited and will fire my logs and tree trunk piece next :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back