Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

CFB Sores?

geron

Reaction score
I think one of my CFB has sores on him. I just received him yesterday. He seems to be missing some fingers as well.

The "sores" are on his head and his side. They don't look inflamed in anyways they just look like small holes.

I'm waiting for my phone to charge right to to get some photos up.

Any advise on the situation would be appreciated.

-Geron

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Geron

I'm afraid chances are it won't make it, but keep the animal on damp paper towels (terrestrial) and get hold of some neosporin cream (WITHOUT painkillers - these will kill the newt) and apply it two or three times a day to the sores. Keep the newt cool, ideally 12-15C andprovide it with simple shelter like an upturned pastic saucer with a door cut into the rim. Disturb it as little as possible and after the first couple of days see if it will eat a piece of chopped earthworm placed in front of the hide.

Don't strop treatment until the sores have completely healed.

C

geron

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise Chris.

I have him in his own little setup with a damp paper towel bottom.

I applied the Neosporin to all of his sores and his hand which seemed to be bleeding.

I put him in the fridge on the lowest setting which was around 10C and pu a towel over his enclosure so he wouldn't be disturbed by the light.

If I missed anything or should do anything else please inform me. I really don't want him to pass.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1