Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Challenging ?

Carandiru

Reaction score
So I have had an amazing Axolotl for about 1 to 2 months now. The first week was interesting and had to change all the substrate to something smaller, she had eaten some stones. Put her in the fridge for about 24 to 48 hours and they were found in the bottom of the container.

Now here comes the shocker - from everything that I have read axolotls should be kept in cool water, no flow, no tank mates etc etc. My experience has been in an environment that is exactly the opposite. She is very healthy, no heat stress comes to my hand and eats doesn't bother other fish, other fish don't bother her either.

She is being kept in a tank with a low-brackish salinity of 1.04 - 1.05 and a temperature of 76 to 78 degrees. Now before you all yell at me - she is fine no sickness extremely active and happy looking ! She is albino and about 4 to 6 inchs long. I have to keep the tank within these parameters for my Green Spotted Puffer. My puffer is not aggressive and is older. There is also quite a bit of flow in my tank.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

vagus

Reaction score
I ask you, why do you want to risk it?

Axolotls are very hardy, but while the animal may be living under these conditions for a short time, it will not thrive and will easily succumb to illness. You have read up on the conditions axolotls should be kept at, so I will not lecture you on how ill-advised your current setup is for an axolotl.

However, I will lecture on one point: Speaking with second-hand experience, Puffers are not good tankmates. They can and will nip at the axolotl's toes, fins, and gills. That, and at whatever point the axolotl opportunistically attempts to eat the puffer, which it will, you will likely lose both. The axolotl will suck the puffer into its mouth and the puffer will in fact expand. In one case I know, this disjointed and broke the axolotl's jaw. In all cases, the axolotl squeezed and squeezed trying to eat the puffer, which killed the puffer.

I have seen three instances, personally, of people thinking pairing these species was a good idea. Out of those three pairings, you have three dead puffers, one dead axolotls, one that was never the same afterwards, and a lucky third that seemed ok afterwards.

Why would you risk it?

Chirple

Reaction score
Meh.

Sure, you can leave your cat outside all winter with no food and if it's mild, you might just find it's still alive come next spring. But do you really want to give that kind of life to an animal in your care ?

I gotta hope this is a joke/trolling, too. :/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1