Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Chartreuse worms?

BrinsonZ71

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on Chartreuse worms? I can not find much online other than they are just regular earthworms (or nightcrawlers) either dyed or fed a certain diet to make them green. My regular worm supplier didn't have any quality earthworms or nightcrawlers available so I purchased some Wranglers Live brand Chartreuse worms. I thoroughly rinsed them with tank water as I normally do and fed my Axie Darwin these for a few days before going to a different location and getting some regular nightcrawlers. I haven't noticed any adverse effects other than a slight green tinge to my tank water which I was able to get rid of with some thorough water changing, a couple of his poops were very green afterwards. I monitored him closely for the weeks following to make sure he wasn't sick or going to turn green and he is okay. Is there anyway to rinse the green off of them if it's just dye? Are they otherwise safe for consumption?

Kitan

Reaction score
Please DO NOT feed your Axolotl these worms. They are known to make axolotls sick and lead to secondary issue. They are dyed to make them more visually appealing\eye catching to fish, but the dyes used are harmful to our wee 'lotls. Emergency substitutions include other types of worms such as red wrigglers (may be unappetizing to your 'lotl and might need to be blanched to be eaten) and frozen bloodworms, but if you dont have access to a pet store you can even give them frozen cocktail shrimp (fresh water); make sure these are well thawed and rinsed several times to remove any brine they make have been frozen in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!