Cheat Mountain Salamanders

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kaysie
I had to rush right home and post. Tonight at work, we did a night-time survey for the Cheat Mountain Salamander, Plethodon nettingi (by survey, I mean 3 biologists and 3 interns who are afraid of salamanders, snakes, slugs, snails, sticks, bugs, spiders, and anything that might possibly move). The survey is basically to see whether the Cheat Mountain sals are isolated to their micro-habitat due to out-competition by red-backs, or whether they occur out from the micro-habitat.

We found 3 cheat mountain sals, including one juvenile! The two adults were pretty near their micro-habitat, but the juvenile was at least 80 yards out. It was great. I'll post pictures soon. They're not great, as I was shooting at night, with headlamps, with a crappy camera. We probably also would have found more sals, but it has been pretty dry lately.

D'oh. I forgot to mention that P. nettingi is a Federally threatened species, and only occurs in West Virginia.

I'll post photos when I get home from work. Sadly, none of them are 'calender' quality. We may go out again after a rain, so we'll see.

As promised, here are some (bad) pictures.

Attachments

• DSCN0266.jpg
    DSCN0266.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 643
  • DSCN0268.jpg
    DSCN0268.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 1,053
  • DSCN0275.jpg
    DSCN0275.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 2,343
  • DSCN0274.jpg
    DSCN0274.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 854
  • DSCN0269.jpg
    DSCN0269.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 1,128
Nice Kaysie, the diversity in lung less salamanders over there to the east is intense!

That's really cool Kaysie. I've always been interested in seeing pictures of animals with very limited ranges. You are very lucky to see such salamanders.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a cool find. I didn't realize how small some plethodons' ranges are.

Not only is it restricted to West Virginia, but it's restricted to less than a handful of mountains (5 maybe?)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back