Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

chiller recommendations?

aadigi

Reaction score
Hi all! I adopted a couple axolotls this winter and they've been doing great. However, as the weather warms up I'm finding I need to get a tank chiller (not unexpected, but now it's more necessary). I was wondering if you have any suggestions for chillers that are under $400 and at least reasonably quiet. I bought this chiller and have had it a couple days but it is super loud and definitely won't work long term. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

vagus

Reaction score
The cheapest, most practical option for many folks is to get a window or portable Air conditioner and cool the whole room.

Barring that, having a large fan blowing across the water to cool it by evaporation works if your relative humidty is usually low and air temps aren't going any higher than, say, 75F

Many people on this site and various aquarium sites have experimented with using minifridges and beer coolers, but near universally these don't work because the compressor burns out because they are designed for intermittent function, not constant operation.

ania532

Reaction score
Hi! I recently purchased the Aqua Euro 1/13 chiller. It's ~just~ over your budget--I bought mine from Petco for about $430 I believe. It is getting pretty hot here in NYC, and even blowing a fan on the water surface, one day the water got over 70 degrees, so we were really terrified! The chiller works like a champ though--it got the water down to 63 degrees in about 15 minutes, and keeps it steady at 63-64 degrees all day long. It's a little noisy but it only runs intermittently--when the water gets up to 64 it kicks in until it's back down to 63, then turns off again. So it doesn't bother us even when we're sleeping (our axolotl is in our bedroom). We hooked it up to our Eheim canister filter and so far everything is working well. Hope this helps!

ddao

Reaction score
Hi all! I adopted a couple axolotls this winter and they've been doing great. However, as the weather warms up I'm finding I need to get a tank chiller (not unexpected, but now it's more necessary). I was wondering if you have any suggestions for chillers that are under $400 and at least reasonably quiet. I bought this chiller and have had it a couple days but it is super loud and definitely won't work long term. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Have you found another chiller? I was looking at the one you have but am worried about the noise

aadigi

Reaction score
Have you found another chiller? I was looking at the one you have but am worried about the noise
I procrastinated too hard and ended up just keeping this one! Max and Jax (aka "the Alotols") now live in a common area in the house where the noise isn't as disruptive to working from home (though we do occasionally shut it to watch a movie!) Although I hadn't seen anything else in a price range I was comfortable with that got better reviews based on db level when running. Sorry I'm not of more help!

DrJade

Reaction score
I procrastinated too hard and ended up just keeping this one! Max and Jax (aka "the Alotols") now live in a common area in the house where the noise isn't as disruptive to working from home (though we do occasionally shut it to watch a movie!) Although I hadn't seen anything else in a price range I was comfortable with that got better reviews based on db level when running. Sorry I'm not of more help!
Hi, I am looking at getting the same chiller. What size tank are you using it on? And what type of filter/pump is it hooked up to. Thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!