Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chilling install

Sunnycoastcroc

Reaction score
Ok so I am picking up a chiller tomorrow. My question is by how many degrees can I lower the tank each day, or is it ok to just drop the temp from say 23c to 17c in one go? Thanks.

Spify

Reaction score
If your axolotyl is in the tank, I wouldn't change more than 2 degrees per day that way they don't go into shock. If you're setting up a new tank, put it where you want it and get your axie acclimated to the same temperature before placing them in your tank.
Best of luck!
Spify

Sunnycoastcroc

Reaction score
If your axolotyl is in the tank, I wouldn't change more than 2 degrees per day that way they don't go into shock. If you're setting up a new tank, put it where you want it and get your axie acclimated to the same temperature before placing them in your tank.
Best of luck!
Spify
Thanks, and how do you go about water changes. My tap water is much warmer than my tank. If the tank is 19c and the tap water is around 25c. It's a 250 liter tank so even a 50 liter change I'm assuming would lift the temp a few degrees. Frozen bottle in a bucket. 1 at a time or is it ok for a 2-3c raise in temp?
Thanks

SamAxolotl

Reaction score
if you don't mind my asking, what brand of chiller are you using? looking into purchasing one myself this spring!

Sunnycoastcroc

Reaction score
It is a Hailea. I'm only new to this but it seems to do the job. For now it's running on a little 600 liter cheapo submerged pump but I will plumb it into my canister filter. The chiller has 1/2" plumbing where as my filter is 16mm.

Sunnycoastcroc

Reaction score
It is a Hailea. I'm only new to this but it seems to do the job. For now it's running on a little 600 liter cheapo submerged pump but I will plumb it into my canister filter. The chiller has 1/2" plumbing where as my filter is 16mm.
The chiller is a little louder than the filter when the thermostat kicks it onto gear and silent while it's resting. I have it set for 19*C it so it will allow the water to raise to 20*C before kicking in. I had it set at 17*C and the glass is always condensated. 19-20 seems to work most days. I'm in a humid hot environment

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!