Chimera and other Oddball colors

RyanTheFIshGuy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
RyanTheFishGuy
Hey Guys!
So my question today involves "rare" colors. This includes copper, chimera, harlequin, piebald, etc. I guess what im trying to ask is, are these a certain breed that you can get or are these randomly "accidents" in eggs? (Hopefully that makes sense..lol)

Chimera is a pure chance, it means the animal has more than one genetically distinct group of cells. The others are different color types and thus should be possible to breed, I think? Coppers seem to be getting more common at least here in Europe and are easy to breed.

Chimera is a type of mosaic, with 2 distinct genotypes in one animal, e.g. half leucistic, half wildtype.

Piebalds and harlequins are just a particular type of marking on a leucistic (or wildtype), and will have some genetic link. However, if there was a surefire way to breed them someone would have done it by now. They are usually just flukes.

Copper is a definite colour morph, and is a type of tyrosine-positive albino, probably producing pheomelanin (red/orange pigment) instead of eumelanin (brown/black pigment). This is a genetic trait and can be bred quite easily as it follows the normal patterns of inhertance.

Thanks for the info! I just think they are so neat. I may get a copper in the future :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back