Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chinese firebelly newt.

emmyk

Reaction score
So I've been researching.... haha. I got this 5 gal tank and I'm thinking of something to fill it. I assume a Chinese (not Japanese, I understand there is a size difference) fire belly newt could not fit? I'll be cycling it and doing more research before getting one of course... but if it is to small, do you guys have any suggestions to fill it?:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say it's too small for a newt as the temperature and water quality would be difficult to keep stable. Maybe it would make a nice planted tank with some shrimp? The temp could be kept stable by using a heater and the plants should be able to deal with the waste from the shrimp, or you could run a small air driven sponge filter.

HodgeaPodge

Reaction score
You might be able to have one in there, but from what I've seen they benefit from having a few friends.

You could get a Betta fish (they usually appreciate the space) with a few shrimp or a Chinese algae eater.

sde

Reaction score
Maybe you could start a Daphnia culture? Then you could feed baby axies, if you have any. Or like the others said, guppies would be nice. Or shrimp maybe. -Seth

emmyk

Reaction score
I always have bad luck with bettas. I might go with a nice shrimp tank. I was hoping for something more out of the ordinary, but I don't have the space and I don't want a lil guy to suffer. He was just so cute at the pet store, wish I could have another ten gallon!

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
I always have bad luck with bettas. I might go with a nice shrimp tank. I was hoping for something more out of the ordinary, but I don't have the space and I don't want a lil guy to suffer. He was just so cute at the pet store, wish I could have another ten gallon!

H. orientalis from a petstore usually experience bad conditions while being imported from China, and usually have a lot of problems(Not entering water, not eating, etc). Unless theyre from a breeder, and you have spoken with the breeder(petstores will give false info about the animal and about where it came from just to get you to buy it). I think a betta would be pretty easy in a 5 gallon, give it some plants, a heater, maybe a filter. :p

emmyk

Reaction score
This little guy has been there for a while, seems to be happy. Someone told me they had success with one fbn in a 5 gal. Is the conflict with the bio load, or more with the swimming /walking space? I was thinking pretty heavily planted with a turtle dock or maybe a small land area with sand or wood.

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
The water conditions can be pretty unstable in any tank under 10 gallons. Ammonia and nitrites can rise and fall without much warning, but physically, it's enough space for a newt.

emmyk

Reaction score
So cycled and heavily planted, it could be done?

JoshBA

Reaction score
A 5 gallon wouldn't provide adequate swimming space and a newt's bio load would make water quality too difficult to maintain. As said before, the temperature and ph would easily fluctuate, which would cause great stress to the animal (even if it is heavily planted).
Buying any WC animal, regardless of how well it is at the pet store, is supporting the unsustainable collection of animals from the wild.

sde

Reaction score
FBNs are small, a 10 gallon for one newt with heavy planted and a turtle dock/float wouldn't be bad would it? I don't keep FBN so am not sure. I think maybe that if you did a lot of water changes, had a filter, and a lot of plants it might be ok. But like someone said they like a pal, so I don't know if it would work. Hmm, its hard to say, but I would still say probably not the best idea.

Ah geez, anyone got any other thoughts? I really am fighting myself on this one. It could go either way. Heavily planted, water changes, filter, maybe it would work. Then again, it might be better safe than sorry.

Like I said, I don't keep FBN, so I don't really know for sure.

Any other thoughts? -Seth

emmyk

Reaction score
Oh well. If its not right its not right. :) is there any amphibian that would fit?

emmyk

Reaction score
Haha nawhh I'm happy with Stanley and. Want something that would stay small. Thanks Seth:)

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're dead set on finding an amphibian that could be kept in a small tank it might be worth looking at African dwarf frogs? I haven't kept them myself but if they are ok with warmer water than newts you could keep their temp stable with a small heater.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!