Chlorine/Chloramines neutralizers

G

grant

Does anyone know if this would be a good investment. My tank is currently filtering and my axie will arrive in 1-2 weeks from now. At my girlfriend's work (a pet store) they sell stuff that "instantly detoxifies ammonia and removes chlorine and chloramines" its only like 3 bucks, but had anyone had any experience with products like this?

If your water treatment center uses chloramines, you NEED a dechlorinator. If they use just chlorine, you can let the water sit for a few days and the chlorine gas will dissipate. I personally use ACE or AmmoLock. Both work well. I buy the great big bottles, cheaper in bulk.

I use Water ager ACN on water changes an i let my water settle for 12 hours befoer adding to my tank

Yea I used the Ammo Lock, I can get it for cheap because my girlfriend has the hook ups lol. But Yea I got everything set up and just cycling right now.

i use JBL biotopol. its kills chlorine and chloramine, its got vitamin B, binds heavy metals (great music i might add), makes iron available for plants and has aloe vera in it. i thought it was a pretty good one

Grant - You don't want to use ammo lock. It removes the ammonia and you need that right now so your tank can start and finish its cycle. You want a simple dechlorinator.

Well won't ammonia be replaced as soon as the axie is put in there, because his waste will produce ammonia. And, ammo lock doesnt get rid of ammonia it just makes it not harmful by reducing its strength.

Yes, it will be replaced when you put the axolotl in, but if you remove it now, the tank won't cycle properly. If it isn't cycled, then there will be no bacteria to process the ammonia being put out by the axie. It's best not to interupt the cycling process at all.

Yea I was reading up on how to cycle, and Ive heard that I should use the neutralizer, then I should wait a day or two then put in some frozen brine shrimp. After this I wait for the nitrate levels to rise then in the next day or so add some more frozen brine shrimp. Then I let the water cycle for a while and it will build up a good amount of the bacteria. Is this right or wrong?

Grant - you are getting on the right track now
happy.gif

You will need a test kit that will let you test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Drop the frozen shrimp in now and get the cycle going.

http://www.bigalsonline.com sells a master test kit for $12.99, which is a great price.

It takes 30 days or more to cycle a tank so that it is safe for your axolotl.

You will start testing the tank water in a few days. You should test every day, and what you should see is:
High ammonia, then ammonia starts to drop and you will see high nitrite, then nitrite starts to drop and you see high nitrate.

Once ammonia is ZERO and nitrite is ZERO and your nitrates are fairly low your tank has cycled and is safe for your axolotl.

If you obtain your axolotl before the tank has cycled do not put the axolotl in the tank. Get a different container that you can easily make daily water changes on. You should keep the axolotl in that spare container and change its water daily until the tank is ready.

Ok, I already have a water test kit from my other animals so that is all ready. Well thanks a lot Cynthia, your help is much appreciated, as well as everyone else. Thanks.
Grant

I you ask your local fish shop they usually have pre cultured bactiria this wil speed up the process a hell of a lot you can cut cycling back to a week but i left mine for for two i give it an extra week ater the nitrate spike its pretty good stuff because you get the bacteria you want an you get a really good biocycle (i get the pet shop to check my water just in case)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back