Clarification on someone I'm wondering

Turtle Poop

Reaction score
Country
United States
Many of the research areas I've found state about low pH. My situation is opposite. I have hard water that fisheries have never been able to explain. My GH,KH, and pH are always tested way off the charts. As in 12 years I've never had issues with my other aquatics but now thinking I need to wonder about my axolotls.

Many of the research areas I've found state about low pH. My situation is opposite. I have hard water that fisheries have never been able to explain. My GH,KH, and pH are always tested way off the charts. As in 12 years I've never had issues with my other aquatics but now thinking I need to wonder about my axolotls.
what do you mean by of the charts?
what is it you are wondering about?

I'm saying off the charts as in there isn't a color to test the level cuz its somewhere past the highest ones

I will show you in a min
20220418_233253.jpg

It's usually worse than this but I'm currently doing water changes so things are arguing with me. We had a pool and this was huge issue and now we have a hot tub which it's still a challenge to fight against. Understand that 2 totally different things so I wanted to ask if it will cause problems with my axolotl down the road. My 3 starting ones seem to be not affected by it but want more knowledgeisn't. what I think is norm isnt. I've had the 3 for 4 months shy of a year approximately. My apologies as I thought I was clear on my brain thought process lol. Need to know what affects this would potentially cause in axolotls please. As the whole pH down is a nightmare

Last edited:
to measure any of the water parameters you need to use a liquid rather than a strip test, liquid tests are more accurate.
what are the tap water readings.

to measure any of the water parameters you need to use a liquid rather than a strip test, liquid tests are more accurate.
what are the tap water readings.
I completely agree. I just can't atm as im out from messing around with babies. I'm getting it tomorrow but it won't change the reading except for color that is not on the chart

axolotls originate from a environment that has slight brackish high mineral water, this means that they will thrive in hard water. adding 2g salt per litre would make it ideal.

I completely agree. I just can't atm as im out from messing around with babies. I'm getting it tomorrow but it won't change the reading except for color that is not on the chart
My thoughts are that it's just more difficult to keep water balanced in harmful substances (ammonia,nitrates,and nitrates) but that is why I'm asking. I absolutely love my axolotl but they are definitely pushing me thin on capabilities. I didn't go all in blindly actually was on my mind for 2+ years b4 I got 1. Info is lacking severely out there between myth and fact and false. Its crazy!! Only hobbyist like you and I are the only thing that can keep these adorable,smart( just clumsy) amphibians here on Earth.

My thoughts are that it's just more difficult to keep water balanced in harmful substances (ammonia,nitrates,and nitrates) but that is why I'm asking. I absolutely love my axolotl but they are definitely pushing me thin on capabilities. I didn't go all in blindly actually was on my mind for 2+ years b4 I got 1. Info is lacking severely out there between myth and fact and false. Its crazy!! Only hobbyist like you and I are the only thing that can keep these adorable,smart( just clumsy) amphibians here on Earth....sorry for the rant but I'm a bit stressed with what I've decided to keep as a water pal and it's wearing on me a bit. 2 clothes in a row caused me to shift my male to un cycled tank which is something that I don't want to put him through nor the small space he's in. I can't kill living things so its just on me to try and try and try til I fail.

the higher ph will make the ammonia more toxic at lower levels but will also be reduced faster by bacteria, once the tank is up and cycled provided weekly water changes are done it's just a case of sit back and watch as everything will sort itself out.
having hard water and higher ph will make it so that the tank is less likely to suffer old tank syndrome years down the line.
because the natural habitat is destroyed the only research done is in labs or through the pet trade. unfortunately this means that anything that goes against the grain is met with aggression and the lack of understanding is limitless.

axolotls originate from a environment that has slight brackish high mineral water, this means that they will thrive in hard water. adding 2g salt per litre would make it ideal.
I agree that I've researched that they like hard water from say limestone but brackish makes me wonder a bit. I don't think a lil salt will hurt but it doesn't evaporate at all so maintaining it with frequent water changes would be difficult. But anyways wouldn't adding salt to my tanks be defeating my personal situation that my water already has to many minerals as is?

BTW I just noticed some fungus on 2 of my axolotls grrr I can't seem to win. I did lots of reading and video watching and more and more reading. Is salt baths better than trying Furan 2 or methylene blue? I gather the tea baths and catappa leaves don't cure fungus but help skin irritation. Would it be better to do salt bath with catappa leaves and tea all mixed together? Lol sounds like I'm making a cocktail 🍸 for the lil things.

I agree that I've researched that they like hard water from say limestone but brackish makes me wonder a bit. I don't think a lil salt will hurt but it doesn't evaporate at all so maintaining it with frequent water changes would be difficult. But anyways wouldn't adding salt to my tanks be defeating my personal situation that my water already has to many minerals as is?
your water has minerals which would probably be calcium, unless you are testing for the minerals themselves you won't know if that is the only mineral.
once the salt is dissolve into the water it will stay in it unless removed through water changes and then it's just as easy to just add it to the water before adding to the tank.
as you have unfortunately found out without a small amount of salt in the water some axolotls become susceptible to fungus issues, tea/catappa produce tannins which although they lower the ph also have anti-bacterial properties so will help reduce fungus and also help relieve stress.
salt baths are more natural then using furan 2 or methylene blue but it is still at a dose that axolotls shouldn't be exposed to over a long period of time.

Do you think it would hurt to do the salt baths in tea water?
It's my fault completely. I've been messing with their tanks too much between egg removal, brown algea,water changes once a week, top offs every other day, feedings, cleaning and trying to get some of my gravel out slowly. Oh and male moved so I do not get anymore eggs:) unfortunately I couldn't get a cycled tank set up in such a short notice for him (main tanks are cycled though)so I'm always messing with his atm as well. So I've come to the conclusion the fungus is my fault as I've caused them stress 😩

your water has minerals which would probably be calcium, unless you are testing for the minerals themselves you won't know if that is the only mineral.
once the salt is dissolve into the water it will stay in it unless removed through water changes and then it's just as easy to just add it to the water before adding to the tank.
as you have unfortunately found out without a small amount of salt in the water some axolotls become susceptible to fungus issues, tea/catappa produce tannins which although they lower the ph also have anti-bacterial properties so will help reduce fungus and also help relieve stress.
salt baths are more natural then using furan 2 or methylene blue but it is still at a dose that axolotls shouldn't be exposed to over a long period of time.
I'm so bad at figuring out how to operate this thread. Just realized you may not see my question above if I don't actually reply to your message.

I'm so bad at figuring out how to operate this thread. Just realized you may not see my question above if I don't actually reply to your message.

Attachments

• 20220419_183905.jpg
    20220419_183905.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
  • 20220419_183909.jpg
    20220419_183909.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
This is one of my girls that I'm pretty convinced has fungus on her gills. The body looks odd as well. Is that the same kind of fungus?

Do you think it would hurt to do the salt baths in tea water?
It's my fault completely. I've been messing with their tanks too much between egg removal, brown algea,water changes once a week, top offs every other day, feedings, cleaning and trying to get some of my gravel out slowly. Oh and male moved so I do not get anymore eggs:) unfortunately I couldn't get a cycled tank set up in such a short notice for him (main tanks are cycled though)so I'm always messing with his atm as well. So I've come to the conclusion the fungus is my fault as I've caused them stress 😩
should be fine using black tea with the salt bath.
if one tea bag is used per ten litres it can be used for the water changes whilst your axie is tubbed.
get some five litre bottles/containers and put in tap water leave the lids off for twenty four hours to allow them to vent and then they are ready to be used for topping up no de-chlorinator required.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back