Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cleaning sand in axie tanks

E

emily

Currently i have 2 axies in the same tanks but i have nothing in the bottom for fear of them eating it. I think that the easiest solution would be for me to get gravel because this would pass straight through Blinky and Tequila if they gulped some up with their food. The only problem i can see with having sand is that when i try to clean the excess food or poop out i would be sucking the sand out as well. What would be the best way to clean and filter a tank which has sand as a substrate?

Also Blinky only has one eye (i bought him like that) is this going to be a problem for him feeding properly?

N

nathan

Well I’m not sure about how to clean sand since I don’t use it as a substrate but I have heard of people using battery controlled sucker set on a low suck. I don’t think that his eye would be a problem as they use there other senses more to find food

E

emily

any idea on price and place to get one in Melbourne Aus?

A

anne-marie

I'm new to sand but I have used the gravel vac on it - it does suck some sand up but not all, generally only the light top layer. To remove obvious waste, still use a net or some people use turkey basters also.

A

anne-marie

That is the one and only Bruce Campbell as kick-<font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> Ash from the movie Evil Dead 2. Very gory, very funny, completely groovy
smile7.gif

A

anne-marie

I agree totally, Andrew - it's one of my all time faves
famous.gif

D

dev

you can use a siphon, just dont make full contact with the sand, shake the siphon around a bit the dirt will rise and the siphon will do its work. If you do accidently stick it in sand it wont siphon a whole lot out anyway. so no worries there when i siphon i almost touch the sand.

Once in a while its okay to use tongs or your fingers to stir off the dirt and let the filter take care of it.

good luck

C

cynthia

To clean sand I use a battery operated penn plax vacuum with the bag attachment on. I put a small amount of filter floss in the bag to act as a liner.

I took the oblong nozel attachment off the vacuum and just use it with the tube. I hold the end of tube just off the sands surface and it works very nice.

Do not vacuum up poo with it however or it just liquifies it into the water, use a turkey baster for that.

I use the regular syphon just to change water, it is too strong to use on the sand I have because it is so fine grained.

I use an external fluval 204 filter. You want to select a filter that does not cause too much current or baffle the filter so it isn't causing current.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!