Question: Cloudy water, trying to cycle new tank

Keem1871

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm trying to cycle a new aquarium for an axolotl. I'm completely brand new to all of this and really have no idea if I'm doing things right, or completely wrong.
When I woke up today the water was so Cloudy you can't even see through it.. (was clear last night) did my water tests, pH is high - 8.2, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates. Is that even possible?
Yesterday the ammonia test read .50. How does the ammonia go away with no nitrites or nitrates present? Very confused.
If anyone could shed light in what may be happening please do!
the only thing I've used is seachem prime and seachem stability. I'll post a picture of the water.
20220328_191646.jpg
20220328_191133.jpg

add a air-stone the tank, the cloudiness is bacteria bloom but because bacteria require oxygen they remove it from the water allowing denitrifying bacteria to grow which will remove the nitrates. is there a smell to the water?
what levels are you dosing the ammonia at?
bacteria bloom happens sometimes during cycling, it soon clears up once you have bacteria established in the filtration system.

add a air-stone the tank, the cloudiness is bacteria bloom but because bacteria require oxygen they remove it from the water allowing denitrifying bacteria to grow which will remove the nitrates. is there a smell to the water?
what levels are you dosing the ammonia at?
bacteria bloom happens sometimes during cycling, it soon clears up once you have bacteria established in the filtration system.
Yes, the water smells.
I followed the instructions on the ammonia bottle (Dr tims) 4 drops per gallon. It's a 36 gallon tank so I put about 8ml in there. It was consistently at 2ppm until last night when it was at .50. I put only 5ml in last night, and now it's at 0ppm. I am just so confused because nitrites have been at 0 the whole time. (7 days.) How did the ammonia dissappear with no nitrites?

Yes, the water smells.
I followed the instructions on the ammonia bottle (Dr tims) 4 drops per gallon. It's a 36 gallon tank so I put about 8ml in there. It was consistently at 2ppm until last night when it was at .50. I put only 5ml in last night, and now it's at 0ppm. I am just so confused because nitrites have been at 0 the whole time. (7 days.) How did the ammonia dissappear with no nitrites?
the water has become toxic but only in the fact that there is low oxygen, put a air-stone in the water.
there are two types of bacteria in complete nitrogen cycle, aerobic/nitrifying bacteria consume/convert ammonia into nitrites then nitrites into nitrates, anaerobic/denitrifying bacteria that consume/convert nitrates into nitrogen.
the bacteria that consume/convert ammonia and nitrites use the oxygen in the water.
normally nitrates are removed via water changes but when there is a lack of oxygen bacteria consume/use the oxygen in the nitrates producing nitrogen which gives of a smell.
put a air-stone in the water the finer the bubbles the better the oxygenation, top up the ammonia daily to 2ppm (normally recommended to be 4ppm but if you are only having one axolotl 2ppm should be enough).
don't do a water change unless the nitrates are at 110 or higher. even if you are getting zero ammonia and nitrites after 24hrs keep cycling until the water clears, the bacteria needs to establish itself into the filter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back