CO2 injection system with out a filter

I

ira

I like to keep my cynops tanks as still water tanks, but have been thinking about adding co2 injection to help the plants out (have been having some trouble keeping some alive and i know light isnt the problem). Is there a way to do this without involving a filter? I was thinking about just hooking up a bottle of yeast and sugar to some tubing and an airstone. would that build up enough pressure to get the co2 into the tank?

thanks!

I think it would depend upon the water height above the co2 line outlet. I know fermentation can build up quite a bit of pressure (i did some fermentation "experiments" as a kid and blew up a few plastic bottles). You should probably put a valve in the co2 blow off line with a pressure gage before the valve so you can monitor the fermentation tank pressure. I think the biggest hurdle you have to face is getting the co2 dissolved into the water volume. Without putting the cynops tank under higher than atmospheric pressure, the co2 is just going to bubble to the surface and you're going to lose a lot. Definitely a very cool idea.

well, i am not really worried about losing alot, yeast and sugar arnt that expensive. I guess i could put a few t-valves in it and put several airstones in the larger tanks to help diffsue the co2 througout the entire tank. I will do some expiermenting with this once i finish my move and post results.

CO2 is heavier than plain air. Not sure if there's a risk of the CO2 forming a blanket making breathing difficult for O2 loving newts.

Out of curiosity, how much light do you have? Its rare that plants would die from CO2 starvation in an aquarium. Light and lack of nutrients are the two major factors in plant death. A CO2 System might be a waste of time/money in your situation

If the light is sufficient, then the culprit is more likely to be a micronutrient issue (I would probably look at iron first) as oppossed to a CO2 issue, typically CO2 injectors are used to boost plant growth not sustain it.

Ed

i have 6700k Power compacts on my tanks, so i dont think they plants arnt getting enough light (I dont keep any plants that have huge light requirements) All the plants i have do fine (some sort of sword, anubis, mossballs, java fern and java moss) but the cryptos i have in my tanks arnt doing too hot. the leaves get to be pretty large and then they just rot and die.

Any idea what is causing that?

Hi Ira,
Cryptocrynes get "cryptocryne rot" which in my experience is usually related to low iron levels.
Ed

ah, thanks. so it would probally be a good idea to supplement with iron then?

Hi Ira,
Once I figured that out a while ago, I just increased the frequency of the water changes as I have water that is high in iron and that solved the problems for me (I don't have the plants anymore but a friend of ours still has some almost ten years later).
Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back