Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Coldwater aquarium plants

Nativenewt

Reaction score
Are there any common aquarium plants that would be suitable for eastern newts in an unheated tank in the northeast?

Nativenewt

Reaction score
Are there any native plants that I could buy without going to a pond and potentially introuncing pests? Those plants could be invasive and for those reasons I would rather not use them. Also my local pet store doesn't sell them.

Nativenewt

Reaction score
Would vallisneria work? I think I heard somewhere that they are coldwater plants. Also, I would prefer to use native plants rather than something exotic or potentially invasive.

NathanKS

Reaction score
Val's will melt in cold water

Your best bet is things like Anubis, crypts and ferns.

common aquarium plants and cold water plants have very little overlap given most fish tanks are tropical. Finding native plants on the market would be very difficult.

Also, if you're worried about introducing a native plant, you have bigger issues. Newt water should always be treated before it is dumped to prevent the spread of bsal and other diseases.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!