College Dorm Tank Rescritions

Zkool

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm seriously considering the idea of getting an Axolotl but the university I go to limits the size of tanks in the room to only 10 gallons. I know that it's recommended to use 20, but I was curious if I could get away with a 10 gallon.

It depends on what kind of axie, And congrats on university :{)

What terrestrial girl said! I've noticed that my lotls really love will the shelving and "tunnels" that I have purchased for the tank. I put small plants on the shelves and they have multiple places to adventure around to when they get an extra spurt of energy. But definitely wouldn't get more than one and if you buy it at a young age and small (if you're in the US I recommend Gully Water Aquatics) then DEFINITELY make sure there is NO substrate whatsoever! I am still waiting for mine to be a bit older before placing sand in there, and wasn't even going to do that until I recently learned that they get distressed when they don't have a way to get a "grip" on the tank floor so to speak. Good luck :)

I'm seriously considering the idea of getting an Axolotl but the university I go to limits the size of tanks in the room to only 10 gallons. I know that it's recommended to use 20, but I was curious if I could get away with a 10 gallon.
The above 2 answers are completely incorrect. The bare minimum is a 20 gallon for a reason. Honestly, even 20s are a bit small in my opinion, but they are generally fine with proper maintenance.

Well that was put quite rudely. I was being helpful and advising with what I have been told by two different breeders as well as found in extensive research I did a year prior to purchasing my axolotls. Are you an expert? Truly not being rude or sarcastic, I would just love to know what your credentials are. I know I don't know everything and certainly would love to acquire more knowledge especially if you happen to have links supporting your advice. Thanks 😊

Well that was put quite rudely. I was being helpful and advising with what I have been told by two different breeders as well as found in extensive research I did a year prior to purchasing my axolotls. Are you an expert? Truly not being rude or sarcastic, I would just love to know what your credentials are. I know I don't know everything and certainly would love to acquire more knowledge especially if you happen to have links supporting your advice. Thanks 😊
I don't know a single reputable breeder that would ever advise a 10 gallon tank as a long term living solution for an axolotl. Ive been keeping/breeding/raising numerous exotic species for about 30 years. Axolotls can reach lengths of up to 13 inches in about a year. A 10 gallon tank is far from appropriate housing. Not only does it not offer much floor space for them to move around, the water volume is not enough to compensate for chemical fluctuation. Water chemistry is the key here. Yes, a 2-3 inch juvenile can be housed in a 10 gallon as a temporary living situation, but not for more than a month or 2. That would be silly though since you would then have to cycle 2 different aquariums. There is a difference between surviving and thriving. A human can survive in a 6x6 room, but they will not thrive there. The same concept applies to any captive raised species. Our job is to offer them a place where they thrive. Axolotls simple can't do that in anything smaller than a 20 gallon long tank. As I said, even that is a bit small and my general recommendation is a 40 breeder if you have the space for it.

What ever gulfcoastaxolotl said plus axolotl dont get stressed by barebottomed tanks, my credentials are good sense of humour, boyish good looks and ive raised thousands of axolotls and other aquatic phibs. A ten gall tank would be ok for smaller species who like warmer conditions, i doubt a dorm would be chilly. Check hymenichorus (african dwarf clawed frogs) out.

Being corrected is not being treated rudely. You can find decent advice on this forumn if you read the care sheets and old posts, everything that gulf wrote is correct and pretty much what a genuinely experienced keeper would say. As for taking advice from "breeders"..... Axolotls breed like roaches, even a most clueless keeper can get them to lay it doesnt mean that they are knowledgable.

Okay, so I wanted to post here so that you can learn from my own mistakes in exactly the same situation (I just graduated from a school with the same size restrictions). I reasoned that it wouldn't be for very long, it would still be a juvenile and likely only 9 inches at the most, I would keep it in a 20 gallon over the summer, etc. Well. I got one. Let me tell you, they grow up fast. My guy is now a foot long and a 10-gallon was definitely WAY too small. Even when he was only 7 inches, it was already too small. It created a ton of stress for him and I am so grateful to be able to keep him in a much bigger tank full time now. PLEASE learn from my mistakes and wait. You can spend that time doing more research and planning exactly how you want to set up the tank. The wait will be worth it, I promise.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back