Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Colour confusion

M

miksu

Hellos!
Here's my axolotls, Alfred and Boris.
Does anyone here know what colour they'd be? I've been thinking myself that they're probably leucistic, but they're so dark! Also, they have bright YELLOW dots on them- do leucistic have such?
I'd be glad if anyone could help. I've been wondering about it for so long :p

21002.jpg

21003.jpg

21004.jpg

21005.jpg

M

mik

Another intertesting pair that don't fit thenormal patterns.

Miksu how old are they and did they start out white and get darker gradually? Leucistic can be white or pale yellow in some cases.

My guess is you have freaky pair that are probably leucistic (from a genetic point) but actually appear to be a harlequin or piebald type.

What great axies! You are so lucky, take good care of them :)

M

miksu

These are a bit old pictures- they've grown a lot by now, but the colour hasn't changed at all.

They were like this already when I got them, so I don't know for sure if they were white/lighter when they were younger. Though they are still young in these photos, so I doubt they've ever been totally white. They would've had to change colour so quickly!

And thanks. I love them very much :')

H

hayden

What great axies...It makes me want an axie so bad...They are beautiful colours by the way...

M

mary

Ok, I'll admit defeat! You have freaker axolotls than me!!!! They are soooo cool!!! (AND FREAKY) I have no idea what type they are - but I don't think it matters much, so so so so cute!!!!

K

katy

hey, i know you from livejournal! *waves*

i love those axies, if you have the means, you should so breed them!

K

kim

Yeah would be well worth breeding them... i wonder what the babies would turn out like!?

M

miksu

Thank you all for replying
happy.gif
I'd want to breed them myself- I just got some plants in their tank yesterday for that. I'm not 100% sure they are male and female though, but let's say.. 90% sure ;)

And now I just need to wait, I guess. I'll tell you later, if anything turns up.

M

mik

Way too young to breed now but will be interesting to see when they are old enough (I would guess in spring).

K

katy

I believe these pics are pretty old, as Miksu says: "These are a bit old pictures- they've grown a lot by now"

M

miksu

Haha, yes, they definitely were too young for breeding when these pics were taken! :D
But it's been a while already
happy.gif

J

jenny

why does everyone with odd axys live in other countries!?!

i might be going to mexico in october so if i find any axys im gonna bring back one if its real lil and put it in a pot with water!

K

kaysie

Jenny, 1. its illegal to collect them, as they're EXTREMELY endangered in the wild. hell, if you can FIND one in the wild, I'll send you $100.

2. you need a CITESII permit to even LOOK at one with the intentions of bringing it back. They're just this side of impossible to get unless you're a researcher or an institution.

3. a pot with water is NOT a good environment. I would not recommend it, and if you did, I would condemn you for it.

M

mik

Certainly the environment that aixes hail from is rapidly disappearing and is much reduced since people first made any writings about the two (now one) lakes. There must be many many times more axies in captivity that no-one (who is responsible and is familair with axies) should consider taking any more.

I think it's very sad thought that it's probable one day the only axies left will be the captive ones. I would love to see them in their native habitat too. All the places I've been to and
I still haven't been able to get to France to see Pyrenenan Mountain Dogs in their native habitat either. Gotta do it soon.

J

jenny

well why doesnt someone breed a zillion of them then put them in the wild?

M

mary

because the lakes that they once lived in have now been filled in and cities built on top of them!!!!!! their environment is gone!!!! Do you think that you are the first one to come up with that idea jenny???? Why do you think there are breeding programs!!!!! I'm sorry if I'm offending you but that was a pretty stupid thing to say! And your eairler post, even if it was a joke was even worse! Where do you think up these things?

M

mik

Mary, temper temper! Try and keep it together. It's too easy to take wrong tone from a written message and flame. Sometimes we all have to say things to ourselves before saying them out loud.

Be cool guys..err gals. We all here 'cos we love our axies. We certainly don't all have same abilities, knowledge or understanding.

Regards, Mikki UN peacekeeper (for a day)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!