Constipated Axolotl

DemMa

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Hello, I bought an axolotl a few days ago. I fed her once ever since I bought her and she was doing fine until yesterday. When I woke up I saw her floating on her side. I put my hand near her and she tried to move to the bottom of the tank, but was unable to. Later I saw her inside the cave I’ve made and she managed to stay at the bottom throughout the day that way, but later at night she was floating again. Today she is exactly the same as she was yesterday. I believe she may be constipated even though her abdomen doesn't look bloated. I’ve read online that the only treatment option is to fridge her, but she is already very stressed with the new tank and everything and I don’t know if it’s a good idea. I am going to do a water change today (I’ve read that it helps) and if it doesn’t help I thought of putting her in a quarantine tank for a few days with daily water changes , but not in the fridge. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do?
Thank you in advance

Do you have rocks in the bottom of our tank?

I think if you do a search "constipation" you'll find several answers. But maybe she swallowed a rock?

Hello, I bought an axolotl a few days ago. I fed her once ever since I bought her and she was doing fine until yesterday. When I woke up I saw her floating on her side. I put my hand near her and she tried to move to the bottom of the tank, but was unable to. Later I saw her inside the cave I’ve made and she managed to stay at the bottom throughout the day that way, but later at night she was floating again. Today she is exactly the same as she was yesterday. I believe she may be constipated even though her abdomen doesn't look bloated. I’ve read online that the only treatment option is to fridge her, but she is already very stressed with the new tank and everything and I don’t know if it’s a good idea. I am going to do a water change today (I’ve read that it helps) and if it doesn’t help I thought of putting her in a quarantine tank for a few days with daily water changes , but not in the fridge. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do?
Thank you in advance
What are your current water parameters in her tank? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH?
What have you been feeding her? how much? and how often?
how big is she?

It wont hurt to tub her so you can give her fresh clean water once or twice a day. That will help you monitor her more closely as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back