Constipated Axolotl

MorganMK

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

So i am currently tubing my five month old axolotl while their new tank finishes up cycling. I noticed she pooped about a week ago but have not noticed her passing any stool since. Her poop is pretty prominent and i notice it rather quickly. She still eats but is eating slightly less than what she used to (used to eat two bloodworms a day, now only eats one). I've caught her tail end floating a few times but she can ground herself. I feel like her belly appears slightly bloated but im not positive. Gills and tail don't indicate any stress and im rigid about daily water changes while tubing. Water parameters are good and temp is between 64 and 68 F.

Based on everything, I'm fairly certain she is constipated and want to take care of this before it gets more serious. How should i go about this? I've read fringing is a good solution but I've also read it should be used as a last resort.

Thanks in advance!

do you mean that you normally give him/her between one or two earthworms per day or that you give him/her one or two blocks of bloodworm per day, as bloodworm are quite small.
provided he/she isn't floating around just let nature take it's course.
make sure there is an air stone in the water for oxygenation, your temperature is a bit high ideally it should be 15°c/59°f - 18°c/64°f.
because most fridges are used to preserve food the temperature is set too low to be used for axolotls except as last resorts, this is because even though axolotls heal better at cold temperatures if it is too cold it can cause organ shut down, the tolerant level is down to 4°c/39°f this is for short periods only and also a lot of fridges are set closer to 2°c/35°f.

do you mean that you normally give him/her between one or two earthworms per day or that you give him/her one or two blocks of bloodworm per day, as bloodworm are quite small.
provided he/she isn't floating around just let nature take it's course.
make sure there is an air stone in the water for oxygenation, your temperature is a bit high ideally it should be 15°c/59°f - 18°c/64°f.
because most fridges are used to preserve food the temperature is set too low to be used for axolotls except as last resorts, this is because even though axolotls heal better at cold temperatures if it is too cold it can cause organ shut down, the tolerant level is down to 4°c/39°f this is for short periods only and also a lot of fridges are set closer to 2°c/35°f.
of course an hour or so after I made this post she had two large poops lol. Yes I did mean earth worms. My apologies. Thank you so much for the advice regarding the air stone and the temperature. I'll make sure to take care of both those things!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back