Cool aquarium in the summer

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi! I close in near Harrisburg Pa, where it can get quite hot. My mom likes it hot in the summer in the house (think 78ish) and my dad likes it cold in the winter. (65ish) I don’t get it, but I’ve given up trying to convince them it’s weird. I don’t have room for a canister filter and chiller in my room, my axie has a hang on back. She’s tubbed right now, cause she got ammonia burn, but does anyone have any tips on how to keep a 20L below 68 on its own without constant water bottle replacement? We go on vacations in the summer, and my vet neighbor who watches all our animals comes over a lot, but not every half an hour to replace frozen water bottles. Any tips would be appreciated!!
ps. I have a fan running across the water

Last edited:
I have my baby, now babies here in Texas. Since we are the rents’ here I can keep the temp of the house low. We run our fan in the room with the aquarium fans and just added a sponge filter to add small bubbles and a cleaner tank and they are keeping cool. I honestly am not sure how we are doing it since the temps have been in the 90’s.

I have my baby, now babies here in Texas. Since we are the rents’ here I can keep the temp of the house low. We run our fan in the room with the aquarium fans and just added a sponge filter to add small bubbles and a cleaner tank and they are keeping cool. I honestly am not sure how we are doing it since the temps have been in the 90’s.
Okay! Yeah we are looking at air stones and a bio stone just to help add bubbles and for a cleaner tank.

Im located in New York, and the summer really sucks when owning Axolotls. I struggle keeping temps below 65°. But what has been helping me was buying an aquarium fan that you mount on top on Amazon. It really helped a lot. Including having a air conditioner in my room.

Definitely having the AC on helps. My mother in law came over for something while I was at work a day last week and apparently turned up the AC when no one was looking. We found out because when I got home I did my daily maintenance. Check temp, water level, clean away debris and feed. And the water was at 70! I freaked but they seemed fine. They are also fanned but it just panics me, she confessed when I called but I need the temp to be 69-70 on the AC to make sure the fans cool it under and keeps them happy.

Definitely having the AC on helps. My mother in law came over for something while I was at work a day last week and apparently turned up the AC when no one was looking. We found out because when I got home I did my daily maintenance. Check temp, water level, clean away debris and feed. And the water was at 70! I freaked but they seemed fine. They are also fanned but it just panics me, she confessed when I called but I need the temp to be 69-70 on the AC to make sure the fans cool it under and keeps them happy.

I go through that myself. Once my tank hits the 70s, I start to panic. But with my a.c. and my fan, on they seem okay. When I first started going through this I would constantly get fungus. And bathing them in black tea. But thank God, I havent had a issue with fungus this summer. Its the nipping this year 🤦🏽‍♀️

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back