Cooling/heating outdoor pond tank?

farvoyager

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Deborah Armstrong
We are considering moving all the newts to our back porch. It is on the East side of our house in a very shady area, however I have a few concerns and wondered what some of you might think - all of your tanks look awesome btw!

Our winters tend to be very cold (can go to -20 F) and our summers, though brief, can be rather hot (usually in the 90's F but can get into the 100's) What methods do you guys recommend to keep the tanks warm in winter and cool in summer? I have several different varieties of newts/salamander - all in their own separate glass tanks. Breeds include Eastern Newts (red eft stage), several varieties of Cynops P., a Chinese crocodile newt, Japanese Gold Dust newts, and one long-toed Salamander which wandered into our driveway one year and is native to the area.

Any thoughts or suggestions about cooling and heating these tanks while they are outside?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am planning to just temporarily move my newts outside for part of the spring/fall this year. I think it would just be too hot in summer and too cold in winter for them; I live in NY.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Is the porch enclosed with glass, or just screened-in? Do you have any temperature readings regarding how the porch temperature correlates with outdoor temperature? I would suggest getting some porch temperature data before committing yourself to putting the animals out there.

One suggestion I have is to get the *largest* possible tanks/tubs that you can. A large container of water will hold a lot of "thermal mass" - it will take a long time to freeze or overheat, and the daytime/nighttime water temperatures will fluctuate much less. Start scouring freecycle and Craig's List for large tanks.

farvoyager

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Deborah Armstrong
Thank you Jennewt. We decided not to do the porch enclosure for now... Unless we can find some way to keep the temperature better regulated in the future, we aren't going to jeapordize the newts.

Our back porch is enclosed - it is part of an outdoor enclosure which we built for our cats so that they could go outside without worrying about cars or predators.

I was thinking of keeping the newts out there in a separate area (screened off from cats of course) but the temperature issue is just too much right now...

Meanwhile my husband is investigating the idea of turning a dorm fridge into a cooling unit for the tanks, so if we ever do decide to move them out there we would have more control over the temperature.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would encourage you to try to use the porch. Some of the best breeding successes have happened in semi-outdoor enclosed areas like this. I would recommend putting a big tub of water out there right away and take water temperature readings throughout the summer. It's very possible that you do NOT need to worry about cooling! Does the porch have a dirt floor? If so, build a pond! I have a pond in a room similar to what you describe - it stays cool simply by virtue of being in the ground, and our cool nighttime temps. The air temp can reach 100F in mid-afternoon, but the water has never gone over 74F.

vincent

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi I keep a lot of my stuff outside they do a lot better plant heavily with ferns this keeps sun temp down and use very fine mesh on top as a lid and if possible make one side out of mesh as well, floating plants diffuse the light in to the water just scoop them out when you get too many. Don't have them raised off the floor as the sun can then really bake them and your newts wont be happy. If you dont want to use ferns use your local weeds they grow everywhere and you can achieve a good effect I have some pics of my outside vivs on frogforum what I keep my tree-frogs in but there is a couple of pics of my green-toad enclosure which is a indoor plastic rabbit hutch you will get the idea ::happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Anxious Axie Mom:
    Hello, I need some help please ASAP. All bets are closed. I just posted a thread
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anxious Axie Mom:
    Under sick axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • HakuandCoral:
    Do all impacted axolotls float? I'm worried about my two juvenile axolotls as they both have bloated stomachs and I have some plant substrate in my tank. The substrate is very small and breaks apart easity but could this still cause impaction? They are not floating at all and still eat a lot. I've been feeding them bloodworms.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • SunnyAxies:
    I have a question, I’m looking into getting one or two Axolotls and I don’t know if I should just get one or get two. Planning to get them as eggs.
    +1
    Unlike
  • CrazyForLotls:
    @SunnyAxies, It honestly depends on how much space you have. Two axolotls in the same aquarium would need a minimum of 30 gallons. (at an adult size) If you end up with opposite genders, you would need two 20 gal tanks. Males and females can't be kept together since they will breed and overbreeding the female is harmful to her body. Another factor would be if you think both eggs would survive. Sometimes axolotls hatch with defects and either die or should be euthanized to prevent them from living an uncomfortable and/or stunted life. It's sad, but it's for the good of the animal.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hi guys I need help relatively fast
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    I made a huge error, I’m about to cry because I don’t know why I was so stupid. I decided to clean the sponge and other stuff in my filter while I left the filter running. (I took out the parts in the filter to swish around in dirty tank water). Bc I left the filter running, all the gross stuff at the bottom of the filter filled into my axolotl tank. My tank is like brown now. I was trying to unclog something in my filter cuz it wasn’t running right and idk why I left it on I literally don’t know. I tried to take a bunch of water out snd replace it with fresh water but it’s STILL brown.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    also my filter is like not running right. It’s not a consistent flow it’s more like little droplets of water. :( I’m so confused
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Is the stuff in my tank gonna harm my lotl? Should I just let the filter clear it up? I’m confused
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Seems to be clearing up slightly with the filter running. Axie is okay also no signs of distress or anything
    +1
    Unlike
  • MorganeW:
    Hello! New caretaker of a paddletail who is supposedly 24, and seems to have been poorly cared for. Supposedly was fed earthworms or redworms, but every time I've pet-sat for her, she just chomped at the worm once or twice and left it, to be removed a day or two later. Now I have a bigger, clean tank and have been trying mainly frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, thawed with spring water and fed with a dropper. She ignores bloodworms, goes for the brine shrimp eagerly, but seems to spit a lot out, and ignore most. I'm not sure I can make myself chop up worms (😳) but I want to help her. She also regurgitated an inch-long, seemingly stiff, straight, dried up bloodworm! I don't even know where that came from!!! All help appreciated. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Alyssamuniz06:
    Hello anyone that can help! I’m a breeder and was wondering how to make pellets as well as salmon pellets! I’ve seen some recipes around but they contain crickets which I thought were no good for axolotls because of the chitin. The amount taht I have devours 2 pounds of pellets in a week 😂 so any help would be great. There was another lin las well for two other pellets but I’m not sure if it lets me open it because I am in the Us?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Gis has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Camnp97:
    @MorganeW, Where are you located with that paddletail?
    +1
    Unlike
  • BluFreya:
    Hi guys,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Hey guys.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I’m looking for another fire Sal. Any available at the moment?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I also want to get a Kaiser newt! 👏🏽
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kstimson97:
    I have had an axolotl hatch from its egg it's Friday today and they were only laid on Saturday this little lotl has appeared to lose its egg sack and is swimming in like a circle every now and then is this normal?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Super rare but I was looking for an Iranian Kaiser newt. If anyone has any info please send me a PM
    +1
    Unlike
    jnerdx: Super rare but I was looking for an Iranian Kaiser newt. If anyone has any info please send me a PM +1