Cooling salamander during summer

dmddorian

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi again everyone!
I wanted to cool my salamander glass container but was wondering how to do so effectively. I’ve seen people put frozen water bottles in the tank, but how effective is this really, and where would you place it? I’ve also seen people say they used a mini fan and faced it towards the tank. I only need to cool it down by a few degrees to reach sub-70 degrees. Let me know what you all think!

Hi again everyone!
I wanted to cool my salamander glass container but was wondering how to do so effectively. I’ve seen people put frozen water bottles in the tank, but how effective is this really, and where would you place it? I’ve also seen people say they used a mini fan and faced it towards the tank. I only need to cool it down by a few degrees to reach sub-70 degrees. Let me know what you all think!
As an axolotl owner in a hot climate, I have witnessed this issue a lot! Frozen water bottles do work, but they tend to drop the temperature very suddenly and need to be replaced often in order to maintain a lower temperature. I personally prefer to use them only in emergencies to avoid causing the stress of very abrupt temperature changes. The bottles themselves will float on the surface of the water if that's what you're asking about the placement.

Fans are a great option in my opinion! They help to cool the water through evaporation, which means that they work best in a dry environment rather than humid. I live in a relatively humid area, so I also use some calcium chloride dehumidifiers in the room where I keep my tank. Since the water is evaporating, you may find it desirable to replace the water with distilled water in order to avoid high mineral concentrations; if you just top off the water, you basically just add more and more minerals while the pure water evaporates.

Hope this helps!

This is what I have done:
Open windows in room
Open tank lid
Frozen bottles at night
and nothing more really my tank rarely goes past 21 degrees C doing these.
If it is harming your axolotl and you cant cool it down try putting a fan blowing on the water and if you really need to and its like 25 C in the tank get a chiller but they are very noisy and expensive so I recommend what I said at the top. + fans.

hey there I woke up this morning to my plant on the ground, container broken, and a salamander next to these eggs. The salamander is NOT afraid of me. I looked up salamander eggs and these look nothing Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin like them. I was thinking of transferring the dirt and eggs to a new pot. What do I do here?

Last edited:
I believe this person has a terrestrial salamander, a spotted salamander it seems from previous posts. when I owned this species, I would put my salamander’s container in an insulated grocery bag and put ice packs at the bottom. This worked fairly well but i did have to replace the ice packs somewhat often. Since then, I’ve been able to make use of my 68 degree basement which is probably the easiest way to keep a salamander tank cool - cool the room. Unfortunately this is also likely the most expensive and potentially difficult method. My other suggestion is potentially consider buying a no vibrate wine chiller with removable racks. You can then sometimes fit enclosures inside the wine chiller for when it gets really hot. A friend of mine had great success with this method.

Hi again everyone!
I’m a new axie owner & working on the same. Removed the nice hood to allow water evaporation. Purchased a mesh hinged screen from Amazon (not here yet). Placed tank fans on tank. Posted pic earlier here today. Added frozen water bottles & removed them at 65F. Recording temp. Dropped from 70F to 65F in 7 hours, per temperature probe positioned near top of water level. Questioning reliability, given probe & bottles nesr surface.

it‘s cooling down, so think I’ll have plenty of time to investigate chilling system.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back