Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

cooling tank down

kiwi axolotls

Reaction score
summer is pretty much here now (uk) and living in a new build house it’s extra hot! during this time of year the tanks temperature is around 20-24 degrees (not ideal i know) i already have fans running but when there’s no breeze through the house it doesn’t really work but it does hold it at 21. i’m also using ice bags and cubes which brings it down for some time but doesn’t really last. i want to get a chiller, one that can be used on two tanks but just not sure what one is best. suggestions on what ones to get would be great :)
should also add the heat doesn’t seem to be effecting them atm, no signs of stress so i’m not too worried!

AMurry24537

Reaction score
summer is pretty much here now (uk) and living in a new build house it’s extra hot! during this time of year the tanks temperature is around 20-24 degrees (not ideal i know) i already have fans running but when there’s no breeze through the house it doesn’t really work but it does hold it at 21. i’m also using ice bags and cubes which brings it down for some time but doesn’t really last. i want to get a chiller, one that can be used on two tanks but just not sure what one is best. suggestions on what ones to get would be great :)
should also add the heat doesn’t seem to be effecting them atm, no signs of stress so i’m not too worried!
I've been looking for chillers myself, so I don't really have suggestions on that, but I have a few tips on other methods, either for you or other readers in a similar situation:

First, always remember to make sure that any ice cubes that will melt directly into the water are made of treated water.

Second, I've had decent luck with freezing plastic water bottles and popping then in there; it takes a bit longer for the ice to melt, meaning a more gradual temperature change.

Third, if you have AC in your building/room, it helps IMMENSELY. It's a really obvious thing, I know, but the surrounding temperature is a major influence on your tank's temperature, so anything you can do to cool down the room helps.

Fourth, sort of along with that idea, cooling evaporation is more effective in dryer environments. Purchasing some kind of dehumidifier for the room could be an excellent investment.

Fifth, use a cooler. I know it sounds a little crazy, but glass tanks are not great insulators. I have previously gotten large coolers (go as simple as possible, you do NOT want one that has any kind of bottom drainage. I just use it as another tank and set up everything in the cooler as I would in the aquarium.

Sixth, never underestimate the benefits of placing it on the floor rather than on a stand/other piece of furniture. Take advantage (no matter how small it is) of the fact that heat rises.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!