Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cope's Gray Tree Frog Tadpole with Hurt Tail

Ichthyostega

Reaction score
OK, it's not that serious, but while netting my gray tree frog tadpole out whilst changing its water, the net broke the very end of its tail. Should I be worried? Would it heal as it reabsorbs into the body, or will it die as bacteria take over that broken part and the tadpole suffers necrosis or bacterial infection? Note that my tadpole fully devloped its back legs and is starting to grow front limbs.

Last edited:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
It'll be fine. It won't regrow at this point but it will resorb it just fine (that really is the word).

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
By the way, I notice you said tadpole, singular - is it your only one? If it is then be very careful after its front legs pop out (they grow under the skin) - Gray Treefrogs can and do drown during resorption of the tail. I take them out of the aquarium when the second front leg pops out because it is at this point that they cease feeding and their mouths begin to change - they won't eat again until the tail is completely gone. I put them into a long tupperware box that I place on a table with one end up and the other lower, so that there is a little water at one end and none at the other. This prevents them drowning and you know when it's time to put them in a real terrarium when they start climbing the inside wall of the container.

Gray Treefrog metamorphs are capable of climbing straight up aquarium walls but they can still drown.

Ichthyostega

Reaction score
Oops, I meant that it fully devloped its back legs and is starting to grow front limbs. It always has its tail fully developed until it grows into a frog, silly me.

Yes, I have one gray tree frog tadpole living by itself. About it drowning, I learned that lesson with my green froglet, because I stupidly didn't provide him with enough land to climb on (I only provided him a brick-shaped rock).

Also, is it OK to release your tadpoles once they grow up into frogs if they are native to your area?

By the way, I love your avatar, so cute! Are those gray treefrogs?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say it's alright to release it provided it hasn't been in contact (or near the vivarium of) other amphibians that weren't collected with it or from the same area (and so on).

Thanks for the compliment on the avatar! Yes, those are Gray Treefrog tadpoles, but Hyla versicolor, not H. chrysoscelis. They are two of the 60+ Gray TF froglets I have in my house right now!

1599.jpeg

Ichthyostega

Reaction score
Aww, it's even cuter when it grows up into a baby frog!

Anyway, the dead, broken tip of his tail fell off. I can really see its front legs growing under that layer of skin, and they will imminently pop out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1