Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Could Florida Weather Support Axolotls?

Case

Reaction score
I have a pond and I was wanting to get Axolotls for a 75 gallon tank I have, but I was wondering if you can put axolotls outside in Florida, or would the natural weather kill them?

Ltdanicecream

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's illegal, but I know for sure Florida weather will kill them off. Axies need to be cool, so inside is bascially the only choice. Sorry

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Having been in Florida in November when it was 80F+, I think it would be a bad idea. I was in Florida this past weekend, and it was well over 90 a couple of days. This is certainly too hot for axolotls.

If the WINTER temperatures were low enough, you could. But I suspect moving them back and forth between pond and tank would be more of a hassle than it's worth. And you also run the risk of exposing your captive-bred axolotls (they're all captive bred) to wild-born pathogens from wild amphibs that may visit your pond.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
In a deep pond with lots of plants the water temperature usually stratifies. Normally the water temp on the bottom of the pond is cooler than the water on the top in the summer. In a deep back yard pond with lots of water hyacinth on top the axolotls might be o.k. I have axolotls in a horse trough in my back yard under water hyacinth. Or temps were over 90F during the day the last couple days and the axolotls are fine. Water hyacinth really does cool pond water. It might be a different story come August when it can get over 90F day and night here. By then I will have most of the axolotls out of the trough.

For Penna. I usually tell people that axolotls will be o.k. in ponds if they are over 3 feet deep and don't freeze over entirely in the winter. Less than 3 feet deep and the water temp doesn't layer much. Axolotls slow way down but can live in near freezing weather.

NecturusLindsay

Reaction score
I would suggest finding a way to measure the average temperatures in your pond during the hottest part of the day over a week or so. I live in Central Fl on the East coast and have a shaded pond about three feet deep. The bottom half of the pond stays quite cool all summer--I would have to guess in the mid/upper 60s. However, a pond in indirect or direct sun is going to be a different story.

Even if temperatures are permitting, I would be wary for reasons stated by other members before this post!
Native Florida pond inhabitants are not the most welcoming of creatures either...leeches, gators, amphiumas, alligator snapping turtles, etc. I have found all four plus more in my four foot long decoration pond. Eek.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1