Could really use some advise - please help!

• Thread starter Deleted member 46984
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 46984

PLEASE READ AND HELP ME WITH WHAT TO DO WITH MY BABIES!! :( Details below:

I have a 50 gallon tank with 3 axolotls all approx 2 years old.

The last few weeks I keep noticing a soap like froth that is at the top lining of my tank. The first time I saw it, I did a water change right away, then it came right back, so I tested the water and things were fine, so I waited and did the water change the next time I was scheduled to and again, it returned but water readings were fine. I read it could be due to over filtering and I did add an extra sponge filter to the tank about 1-2 months ago, so I decided to remove one. I did this and it still returned, but readings were still fine. I have noticed that all three of their gills have been looking pretty weathered where they used to be healthy and beautiful, but they all seemed to start getting REALLY bad over the last few weeks. The lucy started growing white fuzz balls in hers (which she has in the past but have always quickly gone away with a water change). This time, all three of them have it and my other two have never had signs of this at all. They also have been acting very different, staying on top of things like the hammock, the water filter, or having the upper half of their body up in the air on the glass constantly. The water readings are still normal though. I finally removed all three of them yesterday when I could not even tell if my Lucy was dead and they all just seemed to be like zombies and not their normal selves and their gills at an all time bad. I still have them removed from their tank and tubbed in new fresh water (with conditioner) and am not sure what to do. The soap looking froth at the top has finally gone away, today was the first day, and I am just so lost and confused on what to do, or what is causing this, or how to help them!

I will explain my water change/cleaning process below and any additionalk details that may be helpful.

-The water change process I do is- weekly tank cleanings, which I scrape the wall with a scraper, or use a magnetic wall cleaner, on the inside walls of the tank to remove all build up. I also remove everything from inside the tank, all the decor/hides, the ceramic tiles that I use for the floor, the hammock & fake plants & wash them all with clean tap water, wiping them down really well and rinsing a lot. (Except the sponges from the filter, I squeeze them in the dirty tank water I have removed in a separte bowl, a bunch of times, until I feel I got as much nastiness as I can out) then I clean the plastic parts of the filter in clean water and then add everything back into the tank, along with water conditioner and refill it with new tap water. I remove the axololts during this time and add them back once their water temps matchs. I admit, I know I do more than I should when it comes to the water changes and do approx 85-90% water changes with each weekly cleaning, because otherwise I feel it is just extremely dirty looking, smelling, and in general.
-I have a sponge filter and use a turkey baster in between tank cleanings.
-I keep their water at approx. 64 degress and use fans to keep it cool and have a temp reader that alerts if the temp gets too high.
-I feed them live worms, as many as they will eat (usually 2-3) every other day and occasionally the sinking pellets.
-I have an API freshwater test kit that I use weekly before I do the cleanings.
-I use API water conditioner with each water change

My main questions are -

-Should I just return them back to their tank since the water readings are showing fine?
-Should I keep them tubbed and just do a full recycle of their tank and fully scrub it down and start over?
-Should I do one of the axie aid type treatments, or some other type of gill treatment, since there is clearly fungues going on?
-Should I keep them separated, or is it okay to keep them together during this time?

I am really just at a loss on what is going on or how to help my axolotls and could really use some guidance. Please let me know anything you can! Thank you so much for your generous help and time taken to do so.

See pics of the three axolotols gills and also the water reading I just took to show you which all show the correct readings for each thing. I did measure PH as well, but it is not shown in the picture.

Thank you so much,

Jessica
lucy.jpg
IMG-2308.PNG
IMG-2306.PNG
IMG-2295.JPG

I am not an axolotl expert, but I would suggest posting this in the axolotl discussion boards to get more engagement. Best of luck

I am not an axolotl expert, but I would suggest posting this in the axolotl discussion boards to get more engagement. Best of luck
OMG! Thank you so much for bringing that to my attention! I am a blonde lol and very new to this and did not realize it was not in the regular discussion area and would not have without your comment. I really appreciate that. I just tried to repost it and hopefully this time I have gotten it in the right area. Thank you again!

the frothing can be caused by bacteria in the water due to not being established in ether the filter or ornaments.
used 2g/l salt to deal with the fungal issues.
never dechlorinate water after being added to the tank, always dechlorinate before.
a 80 - 90 % water change is risking damaging the biological filtration, 50% max.
wash ornaments with old tank water, the slimy feel is bacteria growing which helps filtration.
air-sponges take on a pinched look when due for clean.
add carbon filtration for any smells or discolouration.

the frothing can be caused by bacteria in the water due to not being established in ether the filter or ornaments.
used 2g/l salt to deal with the fungal issues.
never dechlorinate water after being added to the tank, always dechlorinate before.
a 80 - 90 % water change is risking damaging the biological filtration, 50% max.
wash ornaments with old tank water, the slimy feel is bacteria growing which helps filtration.
air-sponges take on a pinched look when due for clean.
add carbon filtration for any smells or discolouration.
Thank you for the tips. I am going to follow them and I knew I was wrong for my water changes :( I will stop doing such large ones moving forward. I also didn't realize I shouldn't be rinsing the ornaments in new water either, so thanks for that info as well. When you mention adding the 2g/l sal to deal with the fungal issuies, is that to add into the 50 gallon tank with all of them in there? or is that to add in the tub to treat them while being tubbed? - do you think it is okay to go ahead and put them back into their aquarium since the water readings are not showing anything bad? Thanks again for the help!

2g/l salt in the tank or anywhere the axolotls are, should be fine placing your axolotls back in the tank but keep an eye on the water parameters.

ONE VERY IMPORTANT thing that very few people mention is that you should test the pH of your tap water straight from the tap, and test the pH of your tank water.

Water straight from the tap can come in at one pH level, and then change to a very different pH level when it's been sitting out for a few days, whether that's sitting out in your tank or sitting out in a bucket waiting for a water change.

My water's pH is 8.4 straight out of the tap, but will lower to around 7.5 after sitting out for a day or so. That's a huge swing.

If there's a big difference between the pH out of your tap and the pH in your aquarium, doing a big water change will cause fish (and I'm assuming axolotls and other amphibians) to lose a lot of their slime coat. The huge pH swing is really hard on their bodies, and could explain the foam you've seen and your axolotls' behavior.

If you have big pH differences, either let new water sit out in a clean bucket for a day or two (test it to see how long it takes to get to the pH level in your tank) or only change 1/3 to MAYBE 1/2 of the tank water ONCE A WEEK.

I also don't think you need to scrub your tank decorations every time you change the water. Every other time or once a month should be fine. If you're getting a lot of algae, cut back on how long the lights are on.

Why do you think your tank is "extremely dirty looking, smelly" unless you do an 85-90 percent water change? Is it actually that bad, or is that your PERCEPTION? Most aquariums have a natural smell and it's OK if an aquarium doesn't look pristine and algae-free. It's actually a mistake to assume that the inside of an aquarium should look spic and span. They aren't supposed to be sterile. That is actually very bad. If your aquarium actually does get too dirty, keep your animals in separate tanks to reduce the food and waste that goes into each tank.

Good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back