Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cricket Gutload

R

rob

Hey all,

I was curious what, if any, gutload you use for your crickets out there?

Homemade stuff? Store bought stuff? Nothing at all? Just fresh vegtables?

I currently feed them some oatmeal with some Nature Zone Cricket Total Bites as their source of water and vitimans.

Rob

morg

Reaction score
My crickets at present are fed on cricket diet plus, flaked fish food and chopped fresh vegetables.
I find that the smaller crickets do better on just the cricket diet plus which has been dampened.

MORG

S

swan

Depending on what I can get at a discount:
Fish flakes
Cricket chow (fortified with vitamins)
Iguana food

As a water source usually water in a sponge thing with a reservoir (Armstrong sells these here in the US). For the really small crickets a piece of raw potatoe or Cricket Total Bites (which are water and food at the same time).

E

edward

I keep it simple,
for all crickets ground dog food as a chow. For water I use a slice of orange for 10 day old and smaller crickets. For larger crickets I use the waterers sold by flukers (which are chick waterers by the way). If the sponge wears out I substitute unbleached paper towels to hold the moisture.
The gels that are sold commercially for water often contain high amounts of calcium which can reduce the survival rate of the crickets.
Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1